Thursday, June 28, 2018

Barns down Country Roads

Country roads delight my heart;
but a barn along the way says stop for a moment.
Let me savor the sight.
Remember my childhood.
What secrets would we find here?
Are there animals inside?
Farm machinery?
Piles of hay to climb on?
Rafters to swing from?
Not the prettiest of barns, but there was a wild turkey standing
next to it with about a dozen babies hiding in the grass.
Not so much of a barn, but the animals live here.
Isn't it a beautiful place to live?
Wondering why barns are often painted red.
Do  you know? I don't!
As a child my uncle had a barn with a roof so low
we could climb on it and then turn and slide down to the ground.
I loved the old rusty tools inside,
climbing on the bales of hay,
or watching him milk the cow with a cat nearby for a taste
and country music playing.
I know there are barns in other countries,
but the barns I see along the country roads speaks Americana to me.
Something I love seeing in the country I love.

10 comments:

Laura said...

I grew up in the city but I've always loved driving through the country and seeing the barns. These are gorgeous!
blessings
~*~

wisps of words said...

What a beautiful post... And ode to America's farm country, and to America.

So wonderful, to see such. Today. When it is not considered *enlightened,* to love one's Country. -sigh-

I do. I love my Country.

Thank you for saying, you do also.

Gentle hugs...

wisps of words said...

And no, I don't know why many barns, are painted red.

Must look that up!!!!

:-)

wisps of words said...

I did a search, and here it is:

"Rust was plentiful on farms and because it killed fungi and mosses that might grow on barns, and it was very effective as a sealant. It turned the mixture red in color. When paint became more available, many people chose red paint for their barns in honor of tradition."

Thelma said...

I love country barns and farm land. I grew up on a farm. Helped do the haying when we had bails to lift. Your photo are very nice with the different barns. Reminds me of the good old days.

Tracy said...

LOVED this post, Marilyn! It feels like old America... :) American barns seem most beautiful to me... something about the shapes. VERY interesting to read about the why behind red barns... I didn't know that either! Literally learning something new every day. ;) Happy Days, my friend ((HUGS))

roughterrain crane said...

What a wide place. This must be full of surprise.

Silver in AZ said...

I'm such a sucker for old barns. I think it must be my Oklahoma farm DNA from my dad. :)

Jeanie said...

Beautiful territory here. I love barns -- it feels like a wonderful spot to drive. Biggest sigh -- you don't see as many as you used to these days.

Nancy in northeast Iowa said...

Most barns were painted using milk paint, and red soil/clay where available since both were items readily available on most farms and cost the farmer nothing.