Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Teatime in a Volcano

 Have you ever walked in the crater of a volcano?
This week I am taking you there.
"Mount Tabor is a dormant cinder cone of the Boring Lava Field, an extensive network of cinder cones and small shield volcanoes ranging from Boring, Oregon, to southwest Washington, and dating to the Plio-Pleistocene era. The lava field has been extinct for over 300,000 years. Portland is one of four cities in the United States to have an extinct volcano within its boundaries." 
The Mount Tabor Park was developed on this spot in the early 1900's.
The developers didn't realize it was an extinct volcano until after the park was developed. 
There is an amphitheater in the crater, but I decided to have a tea picnic right there.
With a rock wall as our backdrop, tea was served!
 Pesto rolls, egg salad sandwiches, chocolate cake decorated with nastursiums from my garden,
and tea.  In the cups was English Breakfast.



Teatime this week in the crater of a volcano was a special way of celebrating summers end.
As summer soon will come to a close I wonder how many outdoor teas are yet to come.
My favorite way of celebrating teatime is always outdoors.

Linking to Bernideen at http://blog.bernideens.com/


10 comments:

Bernideen said...

I have never seen a volcano at all. Sink holes in Florida and Texas but no volcano and certainly not one where a lovely Afternoon Tea is being served! How totally unique. Thanks for sharing.

La Tea Dah said...

A very lovely tea time. I remember, long ago in my teens, that I enjoyed a lovely picnic there. I'm picturing you there in my mind --- with your delightful volcano tea!

Margie said...

What a unique tea time! The only volcano I've explored is Mount Etna in Italy which is still active...so no tea parties there!

Jeanie said...

I love teatime at the crater. I'm just glad it didn't decide to erupt with joy at your visit!

Louca por porcelana said...

Great picnic at an unusual place!It is inviting (even so!)!Here,there is an extint volcano called "Mendanha" which is a beautiful place for having a picnic but not safe,it has no security (as the whole city!)...Sorry for my poor English!Hugs!

Linda P said...

A picnic in an extinct volcanic crater is unusual. It looks like you had fun setting out the refreshments and tea set. I particularly like the plate under the vase of nasturtiums.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Thank you for taking me along to your pretty teatime set up in the volcano! I love your quilt, your lovely cloth, and all your teatime pretties!

Lorrie said...

How lovely! Your volcano tea time looks delicious. I haven't had tea in a volcano, but I've had a picnic! There are a number of extinct volcanoes in Ecuador where we spent some years. They have a microclimate all their own.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Marilyn, thank you for sharing your volcano teatime, something I'm not likely to experience any other way! Wow!

fiona said...

How special and exciting for you!

lovely photos🌼
I was very happy to see
my "Indies" Wedding China
among them x