Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Aurora, Oregon

Aurora, Oregon was established in 1856 as a christian communal society, primarily
of German and Swiss emigrants. The Old Aurora Colony Museum is a great place to learn more about the communal society during that period. Right now the museum is featuring a quilt exhibit based on Jane Kirkpatricks book, "Aurora: An American Experience in Quilts,
Community and Craft". Jane's books give a wonderful picture of life on the Oregon Trail.

A typical log home of the early period of Aurora is open at the museum.
Aurora is full of antique shops. Each is fun to visit and explore.
My favorite shop in Aurora is Ida Red's Antiques & Treasures.

You can find them online at www.idareds.com It isn't the largest, but then I like that. It isn't overwhelming.
I love the way Debbie displays the vintage hankies. Wouldn't a

collection of hankies be pretty used on the tea table for napkins?
A very pretty pitcher and goblets.
Ida Red's is just one of the special treasures to be found in Aurora, Oregon. It takes about 1/2 an hour to travel from my home in Portland. Now I wonder why I don't venture there more often. It's a fun place to visit and you never know what might travel home with you.

4 comments:

Steph said...

Those are lovely images. And I agree - I love the vintage hankies.

Linda Jennings said...

I bet I could find a lot of treasures to bring home from that shop!

Teresa's New Life said...

Ooooh. Those vintage hankies would make wonderful window dressings too. I think that I would go broke walking through that shop. Thankfully I'm several thousand miles away!!
Thanks for the pictures though, we can all dream and stay in check!

Anonymous said...

This looks very fun! I found myself straining to try and read the prices!