Thursday, October 25, 2012

Richard Brandt, Ceramic Artist

 
 
One of the speakers at the NW Tea Festival this year was Richard Brandt, a ceramic artist.
He shared the history of the tea bowl, including the story of the clay and firing that goes into making a beautiful bowl.  It is a journey that he is traveling, one of learning and sharing the story of the containers that serve tea.  He told of being served tea in a beautiful tea bowl and becoming enchanted.
To learn more of the history visit this sight:
  http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/asia/j/jizhou_tea_bowl.aspx

In a tea ceremony I was honored to sit in at the World Tea Expo a few years ago,
 I was served in a tea bowl that was over 100 years old.
 The feel of the history of that bowl just felt so comfortable in my hands.
To hold a bowl made by an artist feels as if you become a part of that piece of clay.
The teaware by Richard Brandt just had that feel in the hands when holding a piece of his artwork.

8 comments:

Angela McRae said...

Now I would have enjoyed hearing this gentleman. His work is obviously quite lovely, and I like knowing that he was enchanted by an encounter with tea!

Adrienne said...

Such beautiful works of art!
~Adrienne~

Shane Pollard said...

Fascinating Marilyn - I've always been interested in the history of tea especially the Japanese and Chinese bowls and tea ceremonies.
What an experience you had at the World Tea Expo - I wish it would come here!
Off to check out your link...
Shane ♥


Steph said...

So glad that you wrote about him and this talk! He is a genuinely nice man and I am happy to own one of his serving pots. :-)

Rosemary said...

Such beautiful tea wares!

Tracy said...

Oh, what beautiful teaware & vessels!This was a treat to see, Marilyn! Off to go see more with that link... Happy Weekend ((HUGS))

The Teaist said...

Really beautiful. Wish I could attend a tea festival like that! :)

Linda P said...

That's the sort of event I would love to go to and hear this artist give a talk. I do admire the potter's art, especially when associated with the tea ceremony.