Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Earth Day 2020

When I took these pictures last week I didn't realize I would be sharing on
the 50th anniversary of Earth Day.
It just seems appropriate to share the beauty of our earth with you on this day.
Our sunset (bewitching hour) adventure to Sauvie Island just took my breathe away.
As you drive over the bridge and see this majestic mountain I say "yes, I am home".
This is Mt. Hood, the most visible volcano and closest to Portland.
After stopping for tea at the apple orchard we drove along the empty road
to view the birds. There were egrets and herons in this marshy area.
Sauvie Island is a bird sanctuary, especially in winter.
But something else was in my view.
Mt. St. Helens was just glowing in the setting sun.
This mountain is a bit further from Portland,
but the most active of the volcanos in our area.
Turning away from the mountain I saw cows grazing in the dusk.
This island is a protected area and kept rural, so close to the city.
It is a little oasis of nature and a place to celebrate our beautiful earth.
Along the river are pilings where birds nest.
Usually because of the narrow road it is hard to stop for pictures,
but with no on around I loved being able to stop in the middle of the road
and capture nesting birds.


Oh for the beauty of this earth. This song sings in my soul today.
I will be walking in my neighborhood today, just noticing what I can notice nearby.
The sun was setting on this little adventure in nature.
Being isolated at home more these days with the pandemic about,
I appreciate and love the nature around me and the nature in my heart.
First let's notice what is around us, then embrace it and care for it.

Celebrate Earth Day by just noticing and embracing it.


5 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

Such an uplifting post and such beauty. It is amazing what beauty we see when we open our eyes to it.

Jeanie said...

Photos like this is why Earth Day matters -- a reminder that such beautiful places and the world around them must be preserved and saved.

Mary said...

Beautiful photos of your famous mountains Marilyn - I always love viewing them, especially from the plane when flying into the stunning Pacific northwest!

What would we all do without Nature surrounding us - she feels like a warm blanket right now, and just being able to step into the garden and breathe in the spring air, listen to the birdsong and cut a few roses for the window, is all I need. . . . . . plus a mug of coffee the early on a Saturday morning!

Mary x

Ms. Ainee C. Beland said...

I did not venture out of doors on Earth Day; but we did manage to get out of doors on Saturday and took notice of the trees blossoming; or just starting to bear some hope of a Springtime yet to come; as it is nearly Summer. We should treat the earth as we ourselves wants to be treated; nicely like when at a spa vacationing and being pampered. Pamper the earth and it shall pamper you right back.
------------
Take care of that which takes thee care!

Tracy said...

Oh, this was like a good tonic, Marilyn... such beauty! I didn't know Earth Day last week was as old as it is--that it has been celebrated so long! It's so good to have these things in the midst of this global health crisis... ((HUGS))