Monday, April 20, 2020

Word for the Day - 2020

Kindness

From Wikipedia: Kindness is a behavior marked by ethical characteristics, a pleasant disposition, and concern and consideration for others. It is considered a virtue, and is recognized as a value in many cultures and religions.
Kindness is a people word.
Not taking many pictures of people it was difficult to find pictures of kindness.
How do you show an act of kindness.
Is it in the gentle touch of a child greeting a puppy
or the hands that serve you tea?
How does it feel when you receive the gift of kindness?

When the pandemic first started I was touched by the kindness
of others asking to shop for myself and my "live-in gardener".
Surely that was an act of kindness that brought tears to my eyes.

It brings joy to my heart to serve others tea
or to be served by another.

Mark Twain once said, Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.”

Making tea for others, serving kindness! 

How do you picture kindness?
 

6 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

I picture it with a smile, giving a little bit of yourself. Take care and stay safe.

Jeanie said...

These days, kindness is a package in the mail or a letter or card. Or a simple gesture, unexpected. And so valued.

Red Rose Alley said...

Kindness is a wonderful word for the day. A very special one too. I love that picture of your grandson in his blue coat playing with the puppy. I miss having a dog - they are so fun to be around. That's nice that you have people asking to shop for you. My brother has asked a couple times, but last night I went to the store myself, no fun. But I went late at night when there were no people.

I wish we saw more kindness in the world, Marilyn. Where was that last picture taken?

~Sheri

Linda P said...

A sweet photo of your grandson with the puppy. Keeping an animal helps a child learn to look after and be kind to a creature who needs care and attention.
We are touched by the kindness of our neighbours at this difficult time. Asking if we are well and willingness to go shopping for us is a thoughtful and kind action.

Lorrie said...

Kindness encompasses the small things - a smile from a stranger or a friend, consideration in line ups and in traffic, thoughtfulness of loved ones, and just plain thinking about others rather than oneself. It's so important. I'm glad you are experiencing kindness these days.

Mary said...

I know that must be D in the sweet photo - is it his puppy? Such a sweet photo.

I believe kindness is taught to children by their parents from a very young age.
Kindness doesn't require extra effort, it is a part of one's genetic imprint but must be nurtured as one grows from birth to an adult. In these difficult days I see/feel kindness from some of my neighbors especially, probably as they are the only people physically nearby. The nice thing is most of them are young men - they seem to see us more as their 'parents' - it's a lovely feeling knowing they are there for us. I feel blessed.

Hugs - Mary