Monday, April 13, 2020

Word for the Day - 2020

Adventure
Adventure is one of my favorite words.
It creates glorious images in my mind.
I love, love, love adventures both small and large.
If I don't have an adventure rather often
or am not planning an adventure, I am sad.
Each spring I take my camera to Sauvie Island, which is about 30-40 minute drive.
I usually go alone.
It is my day to savor the apple blossoms in this historic orchard.
I have shared before this wonderful little orchard.
Now it is apple blossom time and I am wondering do I go with mask on?
Or do I skip it this year?
It is an internal struggle in my heart right now.
I am telling myself there won't be people there,
usually I see class rooms of children running about.
They won't be there.
I do love this adventure and for me it is indeed an adventure of my heart.
I grew up with a family of apple growers and seeing the pink blush
of these blossoms just sings to me.

from Wikipedia: An adventure is an exciting experience that is typically a bold, sometimes risky, undertaking.[1] Adventures may be activities with some potential for physical danger such as traveling, exploring, skydiving, mountain climbing, scuba diving, river rafting or participating in extreme sports. Adventures are often undertaken to create psychological arousal or in order to achieve a greater goal such as the pursuit of knowledge that can only be obtained in a risky manner. 

Well adventuring right now is a risky undertaking for sure.

Do you feel these days it is an adventure to go to the market?
 To just wake up in the morning and face another day?
To walk in your neighborhood trying to avoid those runners coming straight for you? 


From Barnes and Noble ad this morning:  "Explore Adventures without Leaving the House".
I think they must know how important adventure is to us.
Yes, reading a book can be an adventure.
Watching something special on Netflix or Amazon can be an escape from
the every day, it becomes an adventure.

What adventures are you taking right now?

8 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

Just wondering if you could go on streetgoogle or something like that and have a virtual adventure of the apple blossom. We are certainly living in strange times. Take care and stay safe.

Red Rose Alley said...

The apple orchard is so lovely, Marilyn. I can see why you want to visit every Spring, and your heart is aching to go now. Those pink blossoms are so pretty. That's wonderful that you grew up with a family of apple growers. The apple orchards are beautiful, and I also love to visit the one here called Apple Hill. There is all kinds of apple desserts, and we usually go in the Fall.

~Sheri

Lorrie said...

It is hard to know what to do these days. I've been spending lots of hours working in my garden and that's been somewhat of an adventure. I'm finding it hard to concentrate on new books, so I'm re-reading old favourites, and that's another sort of adventure. There's more time to cook so I'm trying out new recipes. Adventures all over the place. Or so I tell myself.

Mary said...

I guess I'm fortunate that I had the chance to 'adventure' often, especially in the past 10 years!
Now the immediate future is looking bad for distance travel - I fear I may not even get home as planned this year if some of the travel overseas ban stories come to fruition!

I would love to adventure to Sauvie Island with you Marilyn. If you do manage to go please take more photos and write all about it for us. I know about your young years with apple orchards - so hope you can get there again.

Make sure to check my post today. . . . . . . . .good news for you!!!
Hugs - Mary

Sandi said...

Go

Jeanie said...

You nailed adventures these days -- walks avoiding people being a biggie. We aren't allowed to car travel apart to the store, food, etc. I think that's a good thing. My biggest adventure? Golly -- I've got to think about that. I haven't had one in a long time.

Tracy said...

Adventure certainly has taken on some new meanings in these times we're living in with Coronavirus! A lot of armchair travel is possible thanks to the internet--so it's fun to Google street view things, or watching travel documentaries via YouTube. I don't mind all the close-to-home these require. Adventures are home include books, films, music, knitting, cooking... a lot can be an adventure! It's been a long time since any "big" adventure, though, and probably will be for some time... :/ Be taking good care there, my friend ((LOVE & HUGS))

Linda P said...

I feel blessed to have been able to travel over the years. I would love to travel to our home in Italy. We had other plans this year for a weekend break with daughters and granddaughter to see the tulips fields and gardens of Amsterdam to celebrate a daughter's birthday. You've been there I know. However, we want to stay safe, patient and hope that we keep well enough to travel again one day. Meanwhile there are adventures at home; experimenting with kitchen cupboard ingredients, being surprised by a new flower blooming and a robin suddenly deciding to venture into our garden. New experiences await us every day, good ones I hope for me and for you and yours, Marilyn.