Friday, July 10, 2020

Pie


Recently a friend invited me to come to her yard and pick berries.
In the past I have picked marionberries there, but this time it was
loganberries and raspberries.
Now Oregon does grow wonderful berries
and I love, love having them in my freezer.
So off I went!

The berry vines were loaded and more than my friend could use.
In no time we had a bucket of loganberries and another of raspberries.
Definitely a pie was in order.
"We must have pie. Stress cannot exist in the presence of a pie."  ~David Mamet

Indeed I must agree with that quote.

Earlier this week I was reading about "soul food" and what food comforted you growing up.
Thinking on this I came to the conclusion it was pie for me.
Any kind of pie would do, but fruit pies were at the top of the list.
Yesterday I went on a hike with my 7 year old grandson and told him about
reading about "soul food".
I asked if I could teach him how to make a pie and he agreed.
So one day we will plan a day to make a pie.

The berry pie was a combination of loganberry, raspberry, and a hand full of blueberries.
Needless to say, it was quite delicious and quite gone now.

Do you love pie?
What kind is your favorite?

There is another pie filling in the freezer for winter.
I love having summer sun in my freezer during the bleak winter months.
Then the raspberries are frozen too, but for another reason.
I love raspberries in my morning yogurt.
Already I look forward to a hand full of raspberries tomorrow.
Yummmmmmmmm!

Happy weekend dear friends!
Hope pie is a part of your weekend.

8 comments:

My Tata's Cottage said...

We had a mixed berry pie, like a razzleberry they use to serve at Marie Callender. How blessed you are getting to pick your berries too. I would be in heaven. My grandparents home had a mulberry tree that hung over the front porch. If you could beat the birds you had a feast! Your pie looks wonderful. We like some vanilla ice cream with it too. HaHaHa! HAve a terrific weekend. Thanks for sharing your goodness. HUGS

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Oh Marilyn...your pie looks delightful! yum

Linda P said...

Your pie looks delicious! At the moment we're still eating fresh strawberries. I would love to grow fruit bushes as raspberries are a special treat. Perhaps when our granddaughter obtains an allotment (rented plot of ground) we'll have more space for fruit growing.

Mary said...

Well I'm one of the lucky people having sat with you in your delightful kitchen and enjoyed one of your spectacular pies! You make a really great one Marilyn. This juicy red berry one must have been delicious with 'just picked' fresh fruits.
Little D will be a lucky boy to be taught the intricacies of pie baking by his grandma!

This weekend no dessert pies planned, but have a recipe for a yummy looking Feta & Mediterranean Vegetable Tart I might tackle. Lighting the oven is perhaps not smart, unless in early morning - 93 and so humid, and will remain like this for the coming week!

Enjoy your weekend dear friends - Mary xx

Jeanie said...

Fruit pies are my favorite. And especially berry or cherry (v. apple, which is fine but not a berry pie!). This looks so good and with that great mix, I can only imagine how delightful it was. Plus there is something so satisfying about baking or cooking with something you grew or picked. Farm to table indeed!

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

That pie looks so delicious! What a wonderful culinary invention! I love the idea of a little summer tucked away in your freezer. And what a lovely time with your grandson.

mamasmercantile said...

The pie looked delicious and so tasty and inviting. I love to freeze summer fruits ready for the winter for that wonderful taste of summer in the cold months.

Red Rose Alley said...

Your pie looks wonderful, Marilyn. And so special that your little helper made it with you. Can't say that I've even tasted loganberries, but with the combination of the berries, your pie looks scrumptious. And the quote you shared was delightful. Going to write that one down. I've always loved pie, and there are so many good ones, but I think my favorite would be blueberry. The whipped cream makes it even better. ; )

~Sheri

*that is a really good photo of the pie oooozing with goodness.