Monday, July 13, 2020

Word for the Day - 2020

Wisdom
When I think of wisdom pictures of paths come to mind.
Do we have the wisdom to know the path to take?
The wisdom to make choices?

From wikipedia:

Wisdom, sapience, or sagacity is the ability to think and act using knowledge, experience, understanding, common sense and insight.[1] Wisdom is associated with attributes such as unbiased judgment, compassion, experiential self-knowledge, self-transcendence and non-attachment,[2] and virtues such as ethics and benevolence.[3][4]


Is the path narrow or wide?
Do we walk the path alone or together with others?
Do we carry the load or share with another?

The Serenity Prayer is a prayer written by the American theologian Reinhold Niebuhr[1][2] (1892–1971). It is commonly quoted as:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference.[1]

Niebuhr's prayer originally asked for courage first, and specifically for changing things that must be changed, not things that simply can be changed.


I know I have quoted the Serenity Prayer before, but it still comes to mind often these days.


I have a fascination with paths and find I photograph them whenever I am walking one.
The image indeed reminds me of wisdom, choices, courage, and diligence
to keep moving forward the best we can.

May your week be blessed with wisdom to make courageous choices for yourself.


4 comments:

Jeanie said...

I quote that prayer regularly. And oh, the wisdom to know the difference...

Red Rose Alley said...

I have a fascination with paths too, Marilyn, and this one looks very peaceful. What lovely pictures you took. Wisdom is a good word, and I hope to have it as I age along the way.

Have a wonderful week.

~Sheri

*Isn't that something that you went to Mount Baldy 50 years ago? It must have changed since then. I loved hearing about the yellow flowers. Another friend who lives near the Shasta area said they get the same yellow flowers there. : )

mamasmercantile said...

A beautiful prayer and such a great word for the day.

Mary said...

I'm in desperate need of finding some quiet paths to walk upon - I feel cut off from the countryside lately!
Lovely photos, thank you for sharing.