Monday, July 27, 2020

Word for the Day - 2020

Ancestor

from Wikipedia: Ancestor is "any person from whom one is descended.
 In law the person from whom an estate has been inherited."
 This word, ancestor, has been brought to mind several times this past week.
In beginning to read Me and White Supremacy by Layla F. Saad,
she says the book is about combating racism, changing the world, and
becoming a good ancestor.

Then in church yesterday our speaker talked about what
ancestors went before us and setting an example for the future generations.

Well, thinking on this word I realized I need to pay attention to being
that good ancestor, a representative for good, and memories that my ancestors
would be proud to say she was my "ancestor".
This was my mom above.
Many didn't know her, but she is my ancestor.
I am proud to be related to her and tell others about what a special lady she was.
For the fun of it, this is me on my wedding day.
Each day I am learning a little more about being a good ancestor.
Setting an example that my grandson would be proud of. 

But more than just my grandson,
I desire to be a good representation of a woman living 
each and every day to make the world a better place.

Happy Monday, dear friends!

5 comments:

Rosemary said...

Beautiful! Beautiful words, beautiful thoughts, beautiful you.

mamasmercantile said...

Beautiful indeed.

Jeanie said...

This is such a beautiful and thought-provoking post. And wonderful words about your mum. And you, my friend, were a knock-out bride!

Red Rose Alley said...

How lovely you were on your wedding day, Marilyn. Love that treasured photo of your Mom. Ancestor is such a special word for the day, and I often wonder about my ancestors as well. I'm very interested in my heritage. I think you have brought so much goodness in the world that your ancestors will remember you and smile. : )

~Sheri

Tracy said...

Oh, this was lovely, Marilyn... and what FUN to see the beautiful photo of your on your wedding day! I must admit, I don't often think about what being a good ancestor is or could be, as we don't have children, and I feel sometimes I have very little to leave behind, as it were. But we do have nieces and nephews, so I really should think more about that. Extended family has not been a big part of my life, so my feeling of ancestors is vague at best. Much to think about... !! ((HUGS))