Monday, February 8, 2010

Enamored with Glass - part #10

Carnival Glass
From Wikipedia:

Carnival glass is an inexpensive pressed glass, made as both functional and ornamental objects, always iridescent and found in a wide spectrum of colors. It was produced in the U.S., Britain, Australia, and several European and Asian countries from the early 20th century until the present. Carnival glass gets its iridescent sheen from the application of metallic salts while the glass is still hot from the pressing, then re-firing the glass. Glass workers sometimes refer to carnival glass as "dope glass" because the process of applying the iridescent coloring to the surface is called "doping".

My aunt found these beautiful pieces of Carnival Glass at a garage sale quite a few years ago.

When she was moving to a smaller apartment about 3 years ago she gave me this beautiful bowl, a pair of candle holders, and the creamer and sugar bowl. The red is such a pretty color and is a lovely accent on any table or just sitting in my china cupboard. I had to include a picture of the bottom of the bowl, as I think it is so pretty.

When I started this Enamored with Glass Monday series I thought maybe five weeks. Looking around my house I found I loved glass more than I realized. I would guess you probably have more glass in your house than you realize also. So on we go, I think I have at least 2-4 more weeks of glass. Then there will be another give away of something glass. How fun, I love giving away things.