Monday, February 1, 2010

Enamored with Glass - part #9


"Depression glass" is a collector's term used for inexpensive tableware items made from machine-pressed glass during the 1920's and 1940's. It was produced in a variety of colors, shapes and patterns by over 20 companies. Most manufacturers were located in the central and eastern United States.

The name, "depression glass" comes from the economic downturn of the 1930's - The Great Depression. During the Depression, the glass was sold at very low prices. A complete table setting could be purchased for two or three dollars. It was sold in retail stores and also by mail order, such as the Sears catalog.

Pieces of depression glass were frequently placed in boxes of cereal, flour, oatmeal, detergent and other retail products as an incentive for purchase. It was also given away by businesses such as gas stations and movie theaters to gain publicity and to attract customers to their establishments.

This type of distribution produced immediate "collectors" - people received one piece and then wanted to build a collection. They had fun opening an oatmeal box to find the prize inside!

I started collecting green Depression Glass to use in serving tea. I haven't collected a particular pattern, but just love the green color. For serving tea I love the dessert plates and berry bowls; so they are the main items I look for. It looks so pretty mixed with china and is so versatile in decorating a table scape. Depression Glass is a very fun glass to search out and collect, but beware you might be overflowing with them very quickly as they are fairly easy to find.

***

And the winner of the 400th blog celebration give away is:

PeggyR

Please email me directly with your address and the tea cozy and jelly will be on the way to you.

15 comments:

Jeanne said...

I love all your gorgeous glass pieces
Love you ♥

PeggyR said...

The glass is gorgeous. I just sent you my snail mail address.

Rosemary said...

When Hubby and I tied the knot we asked for Green Depression glass, any pattern as long as it was green. We got many beautiful things but what was most fun was that many of our guests gave us pieces that were special to their family! I am enjoying your glass series. S.

Angela McRae said...

I love depression glass (friends and family have often collected it) but have never collected it myself! What tempts me most? The TEA ROOM pattern! (It comes in both pink and green, by the way!)

beth said...

I have some pink depression glass glasses and they were my husband's grandmothers..... and my mom has an old glass cupboard full of it...most of it was my grandmothers' collection.....

Adrienne said...

I love your green depression glass. I collect yellow depression. At one time I had so many - received a lot as gifts and found such 'deals' on them - that I had to choose what to keep I chose the yellow 'Poppy' pattern. Since then the name has been changed to 'Florentine' (the same as the top piece in your second photo). I also collect the plain yellow - like Heisy pieces to compliment my patterned pieces. I do have a hard time leaving any yellow depression glass when I see it. I understand yellow is the hardest to find but I've seen more lately. Maybe people are giving their up as they move about and downsize! Thanks for sharing yours today.
~Adrienne~

parTea lady said...

Your green depression glass is lovely. I don't collect it, but I do have a pretty blue covered butter dish.

Congrats to Peggy on winning your giveaway.

Mary said...

Congrats. to lucky PeggyR - she'll be pouring tea in great style!

The green glass is beautiful - I think it would compliment all my white china - perhaps I should start a collection!!

Come over and take a shot at my guessing game Marilyn. Not France this time!!

We've been snowed in since Sat.

christina said...

your depression glass is just beautiful. my aunt used to collect it. what sweet memories, for me.
xo

Annie Jeffries said...

Congratulation on your win Peggy. Such pretty glass. I've never pursued collecting Depression glass but I've actually got a couple of pieces we won playing carnival games. I will look at them now with greater appreciation.

Tracy said...

Such a beautiful collection, Marilyn! I especially like that pattern of the pieces in the second photos. I just love Depression glass. My Momma has collected pieces in pink in different patterns off & on over the years and has amassed a very pretty collection. My sister collects FireKing and pieces in hobnail. Me I'll collect anything tea time related--LOL! Thanks for sharing today :o) ((HUGS))

SE'LAH... said...

i love seeing treasures from the past...these are beautiful!

Marisa said...

I love your depression glass collection.

Time Traveling in Costume said...

I too love using depression glass with my tea parties, and I use pink, mostly the cherry blossom pattern. But I've mixed other designs in if I find a pretty piece. I like using my sherbets for serving trifles in.

Mélanie A. said...

Gorgeous pieces ..