Monday, February 22, 2010

Enamored with Glass - part #12



Chicks in a row with one bunny.

It has been said it takes three of something before you say you have a collection.
I guess this would be considered a collection.

These three little chicks and one bunny just said "buy me" when
I came across them at different antique shops.  I wasn't sure
what they were for, but I liked their small size.
With just a little research online I find that they are called salt, salter, or salt dips.
Many were made by Boyd Crystal Art Glass Co.  Just the green chick has the "B" signature; so I am not sure who made the others.  The green rabbit is green milk glass.  Whether is has a signature or not, I have enjoyed this very small glass collection.


10 comments:

Angela McRae said...

I have seen those little "chick" ones before but didn't realize they were for salt! I love the education I get by reading blogs such as yours, Marilyn!

Annie Jeffries said...

I've been tempted to pick up one of these on and off over the years. I really need to get one.

By the way, Marilyn. That lovely tea bag arrived. I enjoyed it Sunday morning. Smooth. Soft. Mellow. Liked it very much. Thanks.

Deanna said...

HI!
These glass chickens/hens are sweeeet.
Good to see them.
I have a few, but they are still boxed up and I'm just not sure which box they are pecking in! grins.
Thx for sharing and I have enjoyed your post.
Still so cold here in Kansas...the sky is blue today, but snowed this week-end. Ready for Spring!
God bless,
d

Linda Jennings said...

My mother had a collection of these. My grandmother kept her 1 pill she took daily in the salter size by her place at the kitchen table. Your glass series has brought back so many family memories for me.

Stop by to visit Friendship Tea and enter my giveaway.

parTea lady said...

That is a pretty collection. I didn't know that they were for salt either. That would be handy by the stove instead of a shaker.

My Painted Garden said...

Hi Marilyn,

Your glass collection is wonderful - love the colors and the chicks and bunny are adorable.

Have a lovely week.
Blessings,

Erin

Jeanne said...

I love your beautiful glass pieces
I love you ♥

Tracy said...

The green bunny is so sweet... This collection has such a feeling of springtime about it--lovely, Marilyn! :o) Happy Day ((HUGS))

CindyW said...

My grandmother had one of those green bunnies in her china cabinet (not sure if it was ever used for anything,it just always sat in the cabinet). Hers was too large to be for salt, though -- maybe it was a covered butter dish? I've seen those in jade-ite or green milk glass quite often.

Susan said...

I have a white glass chicken and my mother put a lock of my baby hair in it!