Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Garden Dreams


Have you been dreaming of a garden yet?
When February arrives I start dreaming of a garden.
Seed catalogs are ordered.
I browse the seed racks at the market.
And a primrose or two come home with me.
I just love these tall primrose in the French clay pots.
So far four packages of seeds have also ended up in the market bag
and are waiting for warmer days.

What are you dreaming of planting?

My list is getting longer and longer.
Always there are sunflowers, but I have also
added Forget-Me-Nots, Black Eyed Susans (Rudbeckia),
Nasturtium (because they are eatable and so pretty in salads), and Cosmos.
I won seeds a year ago for ruffley pink Hollyhocks and
they are coming up.

Always Roses.

And vegetables will be peppers, squash, plenty of tomatos, maybe
one zucchini plant, hot peppers, garlic, onions, and probably cucumbers.
If you saw our little vegetable garden you would think this is way too much.
Oh, I almost forgot pumpkins. I love watching them grow.

Am I getting ready? Yes, in my dreams I am ready.

8 comments:

Adrienne said...

Yes, I'm dreaming of the garden and I've been thinking and planning in my mind. I'm planning some of the same things you want in your veggie garden. And I have roses that are showing signs of new life, the Hollyhocks are peeking through as are the daffodils and other Spring beauties. ~Adrienne~

Unknown said...

It sounds like a great garden, and it also sounds like you've had enough of winter.

Gayle said...

It is always so hopeful to plan a garden and imagine the flowers that bloom. And it is awesome when they surpass what you hoped for and even more lovely. That has happened just a few times. I'm planning in my mind a victory garden this year. I have never grown vegetables!

Tracy said...

Oh, yes, Marily... I think I've been dreaming of spring since before Christmas...LOL! I'm just not naturally a winter person, so I love to dream of garden days to come... Hubby & I have a small patch we grow veggies, herbs and salad greens in. I've been starting ot make a list of ideas for this new growing season soon--this year I'd love fennel, swiss chard, broccoli (no luck with that last year), and try some new roses... can't wait! Happy Dreaming... And wishing you a very sweet Valentine weekend ahead :o) ((HUGS))

Sherry said...

Nothing like planning for growth and renewal to keep hope alive until winter is over!!

Jeanne said...

Always dreaming of the garden.

The kiss of the sun for pardon
The songs of the birds for mirth
There is no place closer to Heaven
Than a garden here on Earth.

Love you
Jeanne♥

parTea lady said...

I'm dreaming of spring, but not as a gardener. If I did plant something it would be calla lilies. They are my favorite flower. It would also be nice to have a herb garden.

Angela McRae said...

A huge YES to dreaming of a garden, Marilyn! I've been reading the wonderful (old) book "Onward and Upward in the Garden" by Katherine White (she was E.B. White's wife), who was a New Yorker magazine editor and amateur gardener. She "reviewed" the seed catalogs, and I have been ordering all the ones still around. (Oh, and did you know there is a David Austin rose called Tea Clipper? That's on my wish list!)