Monday, October 18, 2010

Strong Women Finale

Wow!  I started the Strong Woman Series on April 19th and have featured some amazing women.
There are still so many strong women that could be featured.
I am going to let you go on your own exploration.

I just reviewed all the strong women I wrote about and found quite a list
of attributes that are exemplified in a strong woman.

1.  They know their own mind
2. They followed their dreams
3.  They were willing to be themselves
4.  They live on their own terms
5.  They are willing to overcome prejudice and obstacles
6.  They persevered
7.  They continued learning
8.  They were willing to challenge themselves
9.  They lived through grace in difficult times
10.  They had or have Passion

Some I have written in past terms and some in the present,
but each of these attributes is worth accepting as our own terms.

What struck me in doing this Strong Women series is the passion each of these women had.  Not only the passion, it was a serenity or sense of peace each of them portrayed.  I am continuing to learn the "following your Bliss", as the old Victoria Magazine use to talk about, is a full acceptance of who I am.  There is a peacefulness in listening to my inner voice and following it passionately.  I know when I am not following that inner voice there is an internal struggle.  I have grown to accept the struggle because at the other end, when I accept what it is telling me, I will feel the "bliss" and have grown.

I have made 5 Strong Woman soldered charms, which I would love to send to 5 of you.
Leave a comment or email me if you don't have a blog.
You can find my email in my Profile.
I will draw 5 names and announce the winners on Friday.

13 comments:

my cup of tea said...

I would love to be entered in your strong woman charm drawing! I don't always feel like a strong woman but I may act like one.
~Blessings~
Donna

Caroline said...

What a beautiful series! Women rock! :) I would love to have one of those charms! xoxo

Jeanie said...

I love the characteristics you highlighted. They're so true -- and isn't it wonderful how when we start something like this, it can expand into such a learning experience? I've enjoyed those I've encountered as I've become acquainted with your blog. A wonderful idea -- may you continue to follow your bliss! We always grow, and growing blissfully is indeed a gift!

Jeanne said...

Here is to all the strong women
Here is to you

Marion Williams-Bennett said...

I add YOU to the list of strong women! This was such a wonderful series, and I feel so lucky to have been witness to it.

This list is compelling, and I have printed it and will post it in front of me - for when I forget just how strong I am.

This is my favorite part:
"There is a peacefulness in listening to my inner voice and following it passionately."

Amen to that!

PS
Victoria Magazine! I had forgotten how much I miss that magazine!

Cathy said...

I've enjoyed your series very much, Marilyn. Each woman showed courage and strength in her own way. Here's to all of us and to our inner beauty.

somepinkflowers said...

welll...
i did look back over
your featured
strong*woman series
but
i could not select my favorite!
{{ although
i am NOW reading
twyla tharp--
the creative habit...
i knew
tt was dancing smart & strong
but
i did know know
she was so clever!! }}

:-)


my strongest woman would be my mom
as she took care of my dad
and his shadow*friend Alzheimer
for so very long...

thanks for the series, missy!




what is next?

Laurie said...

I have really enjoyed this series Marilyn, and am on a search for one going by your guidelines. I would LOVE to win one of your pieces!

Angela McRae said...

Marilyn, it is a testimony to your own skill and passion in presenting these "strong women" that I had no idea I've been reading them since APRIL and felt it was only a couple of months! I get bored so easily, I'm astonished to realize you had my attention for half a year. WOW! (And thank you!)

Mary Jane said...

Marilyn, it was indeed a wonderful experience reading about all of the women that you featured.

It has been a lovely journey learning more about women I have admired through the years. Thank you for sharing.

Mary Jane

christina said...

this series was so inspiring! thank you so much, for sharing these women and their lives with us.
xo

Annie Jeffries said...

Omigoodness. After the past three weeks I've had, I'd love to win one of these charms.

Relyn Lawson said...

What a wonderful giveaway. You have the best ideas.