Monday, October 4, 2010

Strong Women - Georgia O'Keeffe

                             
Nobody sees a flower, really, it is so small. We haven't time - and to see takes time like to have a friend takes time
 
If I could paint the flower exactly as I see it no one would see what I see because I would paint it small like the flower is small. So I said to myself - I'll paint what I see - what the flower is to me but I'll paint it big and they will be surprised into taking time to look at it - I will make even busy New Yorkers take time to see what I see of flowers.
 
...Well, I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower you hung all your own associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see of the flower - and I don't.

This above are quotes by a strong woman, American Artist,
Georgia O'Keeffe
1887-1986

If you are not familiar with her art, check it out.
Her flowers and Southwest art are spectacular.
 Picture taken from Wikipedia
Visit the following link for her story.

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

She's always been one of my favorites -- I'm glad you enjoy her, too!

Jeanne said...

I love all you share
I love you

Kathy Walker said...

Love the quotes. I enjoy her art, also. Thank you for sharing.

Marion Williams-Bennett said...

Love this series of strong women! It's giving me strength and perspective and courage and hope.

Yes, Georgia O'Keefe! Strong, smart, and so gifted.

Dutchbaby said...

I loved reading this quote from O'Keeffe. I never knew her motivation for painting the flowers so huge. I love the part where she says "even busy New Yorkers".

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Thanks SO much for sharing those lovely quotes by Georgia O'Keeffe. It gives me a better glimpse into her amazing work!