Thursday, January 26, 2012

What is in your Cup?

Do you drink more tea in the winter?
Do you drink a different tea in the winter than you do in the summer?
What tea is in your cup today?

Lately I have been thirsty for what I call "hefty" teas,
something black and strong.
I have been finding Pu-er with ginger to satisfy this hunger.

From James Norwood Pratt's book, New Tea Lover's Treasury comes this quote:

"In the old days, when Pu-Er tea was transported by horse caravans from the production areas to the the town of Pu-Er, the caravans had to travel through tropical rain forests.  The moisture in the air caused the tea leaves to ferment (turn moldy, perhaps?) and enriched its flavor.  As people liked the flavor of the naturally fermented tea, the tea producers began to introduce a fermenting process for Pu-Er.  Unlike green tea which is best when the leaves are fresh, the older the Pu-Er, the better its flavor."

Doesn't this quote create wonderful images of the tea traveling by caravans through the rain forest?

My first exploration into Pu-er took me to an 8 year old lovely cup of tea.
Now the exploration is on and I have tried several others,
but I am partial to this first one because is was delightfully smooth.