Sunday, June 4, 2017

Walk with Me - Hovenweep National Monument


 
 While traveling in the southwest
my "live-in gardener" and I stopped for a visit
at Hovenweep National Monument.
It was just over the border from Colorado, in Utah.
We were told it was about a 2 mile hike to see
the Indian ruins.
 The plant off to the right of the sign
is the "Mormon Tea".
For my tea friends, I thought you would find this fascinating.
 The beginning of the walk was paved and I thought
this will be a "piece of cake", I can do 2 miles of this, easy!
Very soon the pavement disappeared and the walk
became dirt and rocks and uneven ground.
 I could tell where the path led as each
side was lined with rocks.
  And so I walked.
I saw the Indian ruins.
 And I walked some more.
 Oh there were others over there walking too.
Surely the trail didn't go clear over there!

 And there were more ruins.

 I loved seeing the ruins.
 And of course noticing the flowers.
And yes, the trail did go way over there.
 There were even some cave dwellings in those rocks.
 
 More ruins!



 And then we climbed down into the ravine
and back up again.

 Oh, more rocks!
Finally, whew!  We reached the visitors center at the end.
I was proud I made it.
Would I do it again?
Well it would depend on when you asked me, I suppose!
Though there were bug bites and a slight sunburn,
I did it!

"It is easy to be brave from a safe distance."
Omaha Indian

5 comments:

Jeanie said...

What fabulous views! And good for you, making the walk. I'm pretty dicey on uneven ground but it looks like the walk was worth it!

Tracy said...

VERY fun with the "Mormon Tea!" A lot of walking... but well worth it. Perhaps one of those "once in a lifetime" things, but for different reason. ;) So glad you braved it, and shared this with us! ((HUGS))

Rosemary said...

Walking among history! How magnificent.

Mary said...

I don't recall visiting that park - interesting about the tea!
Quite a hike - applause to you both!

Adrienne said...

We have not been to this National Monument but we did visit a few on our trip to the Southwest this Spring. I loved seeing the ruins and was amazed at the ingenuity of the ancient people in their design and ways to survive. You had to 'work' to see this one and I'm glad you survived! :}
~Adrienne~