Thursday, July 8, 2010

Barefoot in Summer

My garden has gone wild.
Anyone for nasturtiums?  These are giants and the blossoms are ready for a salad.

Roses, roses everywhere.

Barefoot Days

by Rachel Field
In the morning, very early,
That’s the time I love to go
Barefoot where the fern grows curly
And the grass is cool between each toe,
On a summer morning – O!
On a summer morning!

That is when the birds go by
Up the sunny slopes of air,
And each rose has a butterfly
Or a golden bee to wear;
And I am glad in every toe –
Such a summer morning – O!
Such a summer morning!

This poem exemplifies how I feel this morning.
Oh to wiggle my toes in the grass
and feel the summer morning all around me.

7 comments:

Laurie said...

I'm with you! Only I have to wait for the heat wave to break before I even step out the door!
Your flowers are so beautiful, and love the poem. I've never read that one before.

parTea lady said...

Your garden looks lovely - so many different flowers. Nasturtiums in a salad sounds great. Thanks for the poem too.

Unknown said...

For some reason I had beautiful memories of summer mornings as a kid, bounding out the front door with baseball glove in hand, the smell of summer morning, distinctive, fresh, yet hard to explain.
Thanks

Indian Bazaars said...

Thanks for sharing this. "And each rose has a butterfly, Or a golden bee to wear" So beautiful...

kimberly said...

Another lovely poem, perfect for the season. Your garden is beautiful!

Adrienne said...

Your flowers are gorgeous. I'm not surprised that your nasturiums are so big - they were giants in the pots when I visited. Salad? Yum!
~Adrienne~

Angela McRae said...

I think you and I must be gardening kindred spirits! I *love* your wild garden!