Tuesday, May 31, 2016

The Adventure Begins

 Opening my journal this morning, on the first page I was struck by the quote
I added before beginning this journey.
"Live a life that is driven more strongly by curiosity than by fear."
 ~Elizabeth Gilbert, Big Magic.
Yes, my live-in gardener and I traveled with curiosity and no fear,
for we were there to experience a life time of experiences we only dreamed of
and will never experience again.  We were creating memories.
 The goal of the trip was also to fill our hearts with flowers,
gorgeous sights, and tea times together and with friends.
 We knew it would be hard on our bodies, as our daughter reminded us,
"you aren't college students that can just jump on a train and carry a backpack anymore"
Yes, Jim had his days with a fever and not  feeling good.
I had a lot of pain in my legs and hips from all the walking.
We guess we walked about 5-10 miles a day on all kinds of surfaces
from cobblestones, grass, concrete, and barkdust.
 But we were greeted with sunshine and flowers as we arrived in Amsterdam
on May 6th at 8:30 in the morning.
 To adjust to the time change we walked.
We visited the Rijksmuseum and enjoyed the art there.
Mostly we enjoyed the sunshine and the flowers.
 We were blessed to have some wonderful places to stay.
The Collector B&B was a delight and definitely filled with
flowers and collections of every imaginable thing.
We could hear the doves and other birds from our balcony door.
 Our room looked out on sweet gardens and we could sit on the deck
with our morning tea.
Oh yes, this was going to be a trip of a lifetime
and truly one we could delight in.
Follow along, as I have lots to share.

11 comments:

Joy said...

So glad you made many wonderful memories! I look forward to reading more about your trip.

Rosemary said...

Looking forward to your recap of a fearless adventure full of flowers, tea, and friendship!

Jeanie said...

This looks like it's going to be a wonderful journey and I'm eager to follow along! Welcome home, my friend!

Catherine said...

Dear Marilyn, It sounds like you made beautiful memories and enjoyed each moment. I am very happy for you. xo

Adrienne said...

What a wonderful way to start your journey! I'm so glad you were able to follow your hearts and your dreams!
~Adrienne~

Steph said...

I am so happy that you were able to make these memories!

Lorrie said...

I'm looking forward to reading about your journey as we prepare for ours in just a month. Looks like you started out very well. I like the Elizabeth Gilbert quote.

Mary said...

Awaiting flight to RDU here in the AA lounge at Heathrow - just checked laptop and thanks for e-mail all be in touch once settled back home.
This start on your trip looked lovely with flowers and sunshine.

Hugs - Mary

Tracy said...

Sunshine, flowers, tea... The beginning of many a good time. ;) Can't wait to see more, Marilyn!! And so happy for you that you were able to take this special trip now... ((HUGS))

Laura Morrigan said...

Wonderful!

Teresa said...

What a great quote for traveling. I'm afraid I still have a bit of fear in new places. I will work on it.
Sips and Smiles,
Teresa