Monday, March 18, 2024

Words of Kindness and Joy

 

 


 On Joy 

  In the Company of Women 

           

Make me laugh over coffee,

make it a double, make it frothy

so it seethes in our delight.

Make my cup overflow

with your small happiness.

I want to hoot and snort and cackle and chuckle.

Let your laughter fill me like a bell.

Let me listen to your ringing and singing

as Billie Holiday croons above our heads.

Sorry, the blues are nowhere to be found.

Not tonight. Not here.

No makeup. No tears.

Only contours. Only curves.

Each sip takes back a pound,

each dry-roasted swirl takes  our soul.

Can I have a refill, just one more?

Let the bitterness sink to the bottom of our lives.

Let us take this joy to go.

 by January Gill O'Neil

 

Since sometimes we just need to focus on JOY, today I am doing just that. Can you remember the last time you laughed with a friend so hard that you could hardly catch your breath? tears were running down your cheeks? May you be blessed with great laughter and delight each and every day.

Sending love, Marilyn

3 comments:

Jeanie said...

As a matter of fact, I DO remember when that was -- and it was last Friday when I took my friend Kate to lunch and she told me the story of her birth. You wouldn't think that would be funny -- but I was almost on the floor laughing.

Red Rose Alley said...

Marilyn, you find the most wonderful poems. And this one is about coffee - it's something I really enjoy in the morning, and sometimes a cup in the afternoon. It's good to have a great laugh now and then, and sometimes my Nel will say something to make me do just that. All my kids say silly things from time to time that makes me laugh. And now, I see it in the grandkids. Thank you for your post today, Marilyn. And that photo sure is lovely. LOVE that tea cup and saucer, it's gorgeous. What a charming table with the candle and "fly" card.

~Sheri

Lorrie said...

I like the words "joy to go" - what fun to laugh with friends and bring the joy home with you. What a pretty tea cup and saucer.