Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Alaska, Here We Come


For the next week we traveled by boat/ship and foot, even a shuttle bus too.
This was our first glimpse of this Grand Princess cruise ship.

I told my "live-in gardener" that if they served tea in the dining room, we would have tea one afternoon. And certainly there was a teatime while floating north along the Canadian shoreline.

 

At the center of the ship there was often games or live music. We thoroughly enjoyed having tea while watching the view. There were so many kids on the cruise, it was fun to watch them play and just be free to wander throughout this very large boat.


Another past time I thoroughly enjoyed was sitting out on the deck to watch for whales and sea life. From the deck we spotted a few whales, but also later on many glaciers.


This view was taken before we left Vancouver BC. It was a lovely sunny day and everyone we out on deck to watch the departure. I was amazed that even on a cloudy day the kids on the ship were enjoying one of the three swimming pools.


Another one of the pools.


After a day at sea we arrived in Alaska.
First stop was Ketchikan.



We took off on our own, by foot, to explore. The naturalist on the ship said make sure and view the Creek in town; so walking past totem pools we searched out the creek.


And here it is. It was a nature highlight for us and we were so happy we found it.
I wish you could see the salmon swimming up-stream to spawn or the otters and seal swimming in to fish. We were mesmerized.

 
There were several art studios and shops nearby with this one lovely salmon sculpture showing the way.



Oh those crows do love shiny objects. I loved this studio with their nature art.


I wish I could have snapped a whale picture here for you, but believe me when I say "there is a whale out there". It was probably a humpback whale. Just the evening light while sitting on the deck enchanted me.



And we said good night as we left Ketchikan, Alaska.

Sending love,
Marilyn

No comments: