Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Morning


Morning

Salt shining behind its glass cylinder
Milk in a blue bowl. The yellow linoleum.
The cat stretching her black body from the pillow.
The way she makes her curvacceous response to the small, kind gesture.
Then laps the bowl clean.
Then wants to go out into the world
where she leaps lightly and for no apparent reason across the lawn,
then sits, perfectly still, in the grass.
I watch her a little while, thinking:
what more could I do with wild words?
I stand in the cold kitchen, bowing down to her.
I stand in the cold kitchen, everything wonderful around me.

by Mary Oliver

Enjoy the morning light.

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

Love and hugs

Relyn Lawson said...

So much beauty here. So much beauty. Thank you.

La Tea Dah said...

A lovely photo. Is this your cat, Marilyn? The verse is so perfect for the picture!

And how interesting that the word verification sequence I receive for posting this starts with the letters --- C A T

:D