Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Snowy Day


First Snow

The snow wipes out the writing of the year;
Its swift erasers softly, surely pass
Across the hieroglyphics of the grass
And clean the slate of summer, spear by spear.
Where was a tale of gardens there is now
A smudged and undecipherable scrawl;
And where illumined lettering of fall,
A dim-inked outline of an austere bough.

The hills depicted on the sky are blurred
As blackboards hid behind a cloud of chalk,
And fast as feet of pigeons write a word
It is obliterated from the walk.
An ancient picture script alone remains -
A panorama etched on windowpanes.

from Kitchen Sonnets by Ethel Romig Fuller

Now you might be laughing, but this is our first snow of the year.
I picked the daffodils in my garden yesterday,
then woke to snow this morning.
I am loving it because it is beautiful,
but also because we can still get out and about.

12 comments:

Kathy Walker said...

I love the hush in the morning that accompanies a night's snowfall!

Laurie said...

It's funny how you delight in your snowfall, and I curse it! I'd rather be at your end of the spectrum Marilyn!

Adrienne said...

It was beautiful, wasn't it? Just the right amount.
~Adrienne~

Caroline said...

Ha! Daffodils blooming one day, snow the next.Like you said, at least you could still get out and about! Love the photos!

Tracy said...

This time of year is so funny... blooms on moment, snow the next! Here no signs of spring at all...just snow--SNOW as far as the eye can see...LOL! Be keeping warm & pick blooms when you can. :o) Happy Weekend, Marilyn ((HUGS))

Mary said...

That was a beautiful surprise I'm sure - the right amount too! I had rain in California at the weekend and quite chilly much of the time - still a lovely visit though, with lots of warming cups of tea!

Hugs - Mary

Jeanie said...

Glad you picked your daffys before the snow came. I picked some up at the store the other day -- I really had to have that burst of yellow to balance the white in the world.

Perhaps it is more fun for you, but as for me -- give me green!

Rosemary said...

It is beautiful! Love the contrast between the daffodils and the falling snow.

koralee said...

We didn't have too much snow either this year....can't believe your daffodils are out!!!

Hugs my friend.

Sheila said...

Gosh Marilyn, if I'd known snow made you so happy, you could have had some of ours!
xx

Sheila said...

Gosh Marilyn, if I'd known snow made you so happy, you could have had some of ours!
xx

Angela McRae said...

Oh, I love the snow! And what a great photo of the jonquils with a backdrop of snow. You sure don't see THAT very often!