Thursday, February 3, 2011

Trees


Gorgeous Art Quilts at the Oregon Garden on Saturday.
The one just above was constructed of tiny 1/8" pieces of fabric cut
and layered on the fabric, then held in place by a fine netting.
It was quite beautiful.
Bare trees in the garden reminded me of the beauty
in nature reproduced on fabric.

Trees 
I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast.
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray,
A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

by Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918)

11 comments:

Cathy said...

Gorgeous quilts, Marilyn. The workmanship is amazing.

Cindy said...

Beautiful, I am always fascinated by the hours that are put into making a quilt. have a great day.

Annie Jeffries said...

Stunning, Marilyn. There are quilts and then there are QUILTS!!

christina said...

these are beautiful! and this poem is one of my favorites.

Jeanne said...

I love trees
I love you
Love Jeanne

Angela McRae said...

Those quilts are amazing! Thanks for sharing this wonderful artwork!

Linda said...

My mom and I enjoyed the quilts, and were so pleased that you included the poem that she has recited all of her life. She says it's her favorite.

Jeanie said...

Oh, my gosh, Marilyn, you said the quilts were amazing, but this surpasses amazing. I am simply overwhelmed with the idea of these. A wonderful choice of poetry, too. What an experience.

Tracy said...

Heavens--such quilts! I admire the creativity and work behind this pieces... such small, glorious details... I am in awe! Happy Day, Marilyn ((HUGS))

Mary Jane said...

Amazing quilts! These quilt makers are true artists.

This poem is the first one I ever memorized for a school program.
Thanks for stirring up a pleasant memory, Marilyn.

Have a happy day.

Mary Jane

Relyn Lawson said...

I find art quilts stunning. All that talent. Oh my!



Hey. My word verification is fixteas. Not making that up. It really is. How cool is that?