Wednesday, July 3, 2019

My Country

As I was headed to bed tonight thoughts of July 4th came to mind.
The song America the Beautiful started playing in my head.
In my heart I know our country of the United States is beautiful,
with beautiful people, beautiful vistas, and a beautiful spirit.
I am proud of what this country is,
but saddened by what our politicians have done to it in the past few years.
The hatred that they have generated
and the disrespect for the people breaks my heart.
I am thankful for my home,
a place of comfort and beauty.
I am thankful for each of you.
I am thankful for food on my table and flowers in my garden.
I walked in my garden today
and my heart was both sad, but at the same time filled with joy.
So many of us feel both emotions recently that some days
are just difficult to be at peace.
So I pray tonight, as I go to bed, that there comes a peace,
wrapping our country in peace, love, respect, and once again joy in who we are.

May you have a blessed 4th of July.
Love your neighbors and hold them tight.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, how I agree with you!! So well said. This is the first time ever I feel mixed emotions about celebrating the 4th of July....I do pray for our country and wish for a united one, not a divided one.
Susan

Sandi said...

Beautiful!

Happy 4th! 🇺🇸

Praying too.

Jeanie said...

I agree with you completely, but I also feel that if this is the way it looks to stay then if I can figure a way out of here, I would. We used to be "great" and in two years have gone down the tubes. Let's hope for change.

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Thank you for your peaceful thoughts. Our hearts are heavy too. We must find a way to unite this country that we love.

Red Rose Alley said...

This is a really nice Fourth of July post, Marilyn. One of my favorites so far, and it truly spoke to my heart.

Happy Fourth of July, and have a pleasant day.

~Sheri

ps....I loved your pictures today, and the side of your house with the blue/purple flowers is so charming. And of course, I smiled at the red rose.

Linda Jennings said...

Beautiful photography!

Thelma said...

Happy 4th of July from Canada. Hopefully change will come for your country. Your flowers are beautiful.

Linda P said...

Heartfelt thoughts, Marilyn. I trust that you had a lovely time with your family for the 4th July. Your garden is looking beautiful.

Tracy said...

Beautiful sentiments shared, Marilyn! I feel very much the same way. Living abroad as I do, and seeing all the negative things happening back home and between people, it's very upsetting. I try to find peace in my heart, but it's not always easy. I pray for true, meaningful change and the prevail of good will. It's not easy to be hopeful when so much seems wrong. I try to believe that with love in our hearts we will find an answer. BEAUTIFUL photos! :) ((BIG HUGS))