Friday, July 12, 2019

Oatmeal Cake

One of my favorite cakes is Oatmeal Cake.
Now I never was a fan of coconut, but on the top of this cake it just works
and I love it. It's a great cake for a potluck or with tea.

Oatmeal Cake

1 1/3 c. boiling water      1/4 teas. salt    
1 c. quick oatmeal (I use regular oatmeal)
1 teas. vanilla             1/2 c. butter     
1 1/2 c. flour           1 c. each white & brown sugar    
1 teas. baking soda           2 eggs          1 teas. cinnamon   
Pour boiling water over oatmeal and let stand while mixing the cake.
Cream the butter with sugars.  Add eggs, salt, and vanilla and beat well.
Add oatmeal and beat until very light.  Sift together the flour,
baking soda, and cinnamon, add to batter, mixing well.
Bake in greased 13 X 9 pan 30 to 40 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
Topping:
6 tblsp. butter         1/2 c. coconut
1/2 c. brown sugar            1/2 c. nuts, chopped
1/4 c. milk or cream         1/2 teas. vanilla
Melt or soften butter and combine with other ingredients,
spread over warm cake and return to oven or put under broiler
for a few minutes while frosting bubbles and coconut browns.

This recipe came from Delphian Delicacies.
The cookbook was made to celebrate Kansas centennial in 1970 
by the Delphian Jr. Woman's Club

I was living in Beloit, Kansas at the time
and several of my friends belonged to this group.

Happy weekend, dear friends!
My computer is back and running wonderfully.

4 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

I've never heard of oatmeal cake before, but I love oatmeal cookies! I bet raisins would taste wonderful in it. What a pretty photo to display your cake. Is that your kitchen tile?

Have a nice weekend, Marilyn.

~Sheri

mamasmercantile said...

I have never come across oatmeal cake before, or maybe we call it something different. I am going to give it a go...need to do a shop I haven't got any coconut.

Jeanie said...

I've never had oatmeal cake before. It sounds very good, rather dense and very healthy as cakes go! I think I may need to keep this recipe!

Rosemary said...

Oatmeal Cake is new to me - but that topping sounds delicious, so I'm sure I would like this cake!