Friday, July 21, 2023

TeaFestPDX 2023

 What can I say, but I love this Portland tea party each and every year. I have been involved in the planning, conception, and experience since it started in 2017. My responsibility has been to organize the British Tea Tent. Originally I said by the time I turn 80 someone else would need to take it over. This year I turned 80 and I still love the organizing, though I found a great assistant and have terrific volunteers that back me up. So here I go, there will be another year of planning and plotting for 2024.

This year's event didn't go without glitches, but it all worked out in the end and I loved every minute of it.

 

The speakers table had flowers from my garden. I added tea leaves from my garden too.

 

One of the youngest attendees in the tent. Her mom has attended every festival and I was thrilled to see this new little one attending. Her mom is already taking her to tea and sharing her tea love with this little, Priscilla.


 

Lisa Hand, on the right, has come for several years and is always a wonderful presenter on British history, costumes, and tea. She usually brings along one or two assistants in costume too.

I love when Babette Donaldson can come up from California to join us in the tent. This year she shared from her book, The Everything Healthy Tea Book. During her presentation we served crumpets and fruit.

I actually was able to take an hour break from the tent this year and be part of the WuWo Tea Ceremony demonstration. What a treat. The sun was rather intense. It hit 95 degrees, but we kept drinking tea. The WuWo group also has a booth of used teaware and books which we sell to help raise money for next year's festival.

Steve Odell, the owner of Enthea Tearoom, recently published a book of poetry. He graciously came and read for attendees in my tent. During his reading we served chocolates from Creo Chocolate shop.

We also served Harney & Sons teas throughout the day and Effie's biscuits; both donated to the tent.

Tea Time Magazine was also donated as a free hand out for attendees.


Ginger Edwards, owner of North Fork 53, was our final presenter of the day. North Fork 53 is a tea farm and spa on the Oregon coast. She spoke on Tea and Relaxation. As you can see, one of my volunteers was able to sit for awhile and enjoy her presentation. I loved it too.

At the end of the day I was able to cruise through the vendor tent and venue and just enjoy saying hello and having a few sips of tea.

Here's Noah and Shuiwen at the Floating Leaves booth. They were actually serving my comfort tea of Yunnan Gold. I had them bring me some from their shop; so didn't have to pay for shipping.

Then it was just fun to see people sharing tea under the trees.

And even tea in the gypsy wagon.

There was tea everywhere. What a joy!

I missed snapping pictures of a couple of my presenters. Shiloh Gastello graciously ended up filling in for me at the last minute by reading from his poetry book, which has just been published that week. I think in a future post I will share some poetry from the two books that we were highlighted in the tent. And Angela McDonald was scheduled to speak last year and then had Covid. It was wonderful to have her in my tent this year. Angela is the President of the US Tea Growers Asso. and also owns Oregon Tea Traders.

When I am asked to describe TeaFestPDX I always say it is like a big tea party. I have attended other festivals and even the World Tea Expo in the past and I would definitely say Portland puts on a great tea party. The festival was the dream of our WuWo Tea Ceremony group. Each member has had a part in making it happen and continues to carry forward that dream.

Happy weekend, dear friends!

I hope you have time for a cup of tea.


3 comments:

Linda P said...

I look forward to seeing your Tea Festival photos each year. The speakers and visitors make it a happy occasion. I especially enjoyed the flower decoration with the leaves tucked in from your garden and the mention of each speaker. Long may the event continue. Well done Marilyn and everyone. Have a relaxing weekend.

Jeanie said...

This looks like such fun, Marilyn. And kudos to you for pulling it all together. The vendors look good and your sessions sound so interesting. So glad you go to participate in the tea ceremony, too. If I was in Portland at this time of year, I'd be hanging in your tent all day!

Red Rose Alley said...

This looks like a wonderful TeaFest, Marilyn. Looks like it was a perfect day. I'm sure it was nice for you that you got help with the planning and organizing this year. Love the Gypsy wagon, and I would have loved to browse through the vendor tent and see all the goodies. And now, a precious baby starts with the tradition. ; )

~Sheri