A favorite Shaker song, which I have framed on my wall in my office is Simple Gifts. It was written
by Elder Joseph Brackett and is considered a dancing song. I sometimes use the words dance, dance where
it says turn, turn.
- 'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free
- 'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
- And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
- 'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
- When true simplicity is gain'd,
- To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,
- To turn, turn will be our delight,
- Till by turning, turning we come 'round right
Earlier this week someone sent me a list of gifts we could give for the upcoming
holiday season that support our local businesses.
I have given this a lot of thought and wanted to share some of the gift ideas here.
Here is my list for today, though more could be added to it as we go along.
Please leave comments on other ideas to be added to the list.
1. Gift baskets of locally grown produce
2. Make a gift that someone would love
3. Support a local artist or musician by buying their art or music
4. Gift certificates:
hairdresser or barber
oil change at a locally owned shop
cleaning lady for a day
5. Your time to take someone shopping or serve a special meal
6. Tickets for the local car wash
7. Tickets for a special event
8. Books from a local author or purchased at a locally owned book store
9. Tickets to do yard work or mow someones lawn in the summer
10. Driveway plowed on a snowy day
11. Make a donation to a local charity in your friends name
OK, your turn.
Don't forget to leave a comment on Monday's give away too.Maybe the winner could make tea cozies for gift giving.