Thursday, November 3, 2011

Green Tea

Helen Gustafson wrote The Green Tea User's Manual,
which was published in 2001.    What I am sharing today is from
her book.  Helen was the tea buyer for Chez Panisse in Berkeley, California
and was instrumental in much of the early education in the tea movement.

Green tea has become increasingly popular in the United States, drunk not only
for its delightful taste but for its myriad health benefits.  Many think there is only one green
tea, but indeed there are many different types, such as:  Gunpowder, Sencha, jasmine, roasted
teas, simple green teas, and the popular Japanese Gen Mai Cha, made with popped rice and
green tea.

A quote from her section in the book on The Joys of Green Tea:

When the water boils for the first time,
something akin to the eyes of a fish appear on the surface
and a faint hissing sound can be heard.

Then the gurgling brook develops
with a string of pearls round the edge
This is the second boiling.

Then the turbulent waves appear:  this is the third boiling.
quote by Lu Yu in A.D. 780

Most green teas taste best when the water is somewhere in the Fish Eyes (160-180 F) through
String of Pearls (180-190 F) range.  Experiment with green tea varieties and temperatures
and I do believe you will find delight.

6 comments:

GardenOfDaisies said...

I drink green tea several times a week, and am hoping that the health benefits ARE all they're cracked up to be.

Tracy said...

This was pure delight, Marilyn! I'm fascinated by green teas and their preparation, each on seeming to need a slightly different heat point to the water. Each cup seems different each time. I've been seeing a lot more recipes using green tea, which is also exciting. Often I drink some kind of green tea twice a day, I just love them! Happy Weekend, my friend :o) ((HUGS))

Angela McRae said...

I don't believe I have that book so I will have to add it to my wish list. I used to think I didn't like green tea, but I learned I was steeping it for far too long so that's why it was so bitter! I'll never forget the time a new tea shop owner in town told me to brew it for 20 (!) minutes with boiling (!) water. His shop didn't stay in business too long, oddly enough ...

Jeanie said...

Fish eyes and string of pearls -- this is enchanting!

Mafalda said...

Very beautiful!

I'm a tea lover. I drink it regularly and one of my favourite green teas is Longjing tea.

Have you ever tried it? It's great! And yes, there are different steeping times, depending on the type of tea and its variety. Green teas mustn't be boiled.

Longjing tea is the same. I love it! It has such a nutty flavour and it's so healthy!

http://www.therighttea.com/longjing-tea.html

ahnn said...

It's always great to have a Green tea every morning. I love the quote. I will keep it in mind.