Monday, November 7, 2011

Seeking Beauty in Everyday Life

 From cherylrichardson.com
The Purpose of Living

This morning I made myself a cup of tea and settled into the sofa to review some of the episodes on Charlie Rose last week.  I found an interview with Joan Didion, author of A Year of Magical Thinking and her new book Blue Nights.  As I watched their conversation unfold, Charlie asked this acclaimed writer a powerful question: "Joan, what do you live for?"  As I watched Didion take her time to thoughtfully consider his question, I waited for her response to such a loaded question.  The first words out of her mouth were:

"I live largely for certain small moments.  Moments of great beauty in the world..."

I took a deep breath, pressed pause, and stared at the television set.  Wow, I thought, that about sums it up for me.

To me, moments of great beauty can include an unexpected visit from a deer in the back yard, the eye-to-eye deep connection felt with a loved one, or the exquisite pain of sadness experienced while saying goodbye to something or someone I love.  These are the moments that stay with me, that touch me deeply.

Toward the end of the interview, Charlie asked another powerful question: "When you look back over this life, would you have done anything dramatically different?  Again, Didion carefully considered his question before she answered. "I would have spent more time appreciating those small things."

What a way to start a Sunday - considering such questions.  So, I ask you:  What do you live for?  What are your moments of great beauty? And are you appreciating what you live for?

****************

Each week on Sunday I receive Cheryl Richardson's newsletter.
If you notice in my header it says
"Seeking Beauty in Everyday Life".
When I read this from Cheryl I knew I had to share with you.
I hope you enjoyed it.
Go out today and notice the great beauty around you. 

PS - Oops! This was my post for Tuesday, but it came up early.
Enjoy for an extra day!
Don't forget the give away mentioned on my first Monday post.

9 comments:

La Tea Dah said...

I relate very much to your post today. In this way, we are very much alike. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Adrienne said...

Oh, I needed this very much today. It's so easy to get bogged down in the things that don't last and I miss the 'small' things. Yesterday I took my little dog for a walk - just around the block - and I realized if we had not walked that way I would have missed the most incredible beauty. Just around the corner from my home! We are walking again - probably more than once - today!
~Adrienne~

Tracy said...

Oh, that is a way to start a day, and a new week... what great questions to consider! I'd have to say my own response would be similar to Joan Didion's...That is it the small everyday, quiet, ordinary moments that resonate so deeply each day of my life. Sometimes it's not always the "big" things, though they are great. And I am humbled by the beauty around me all the time--the sunrise, that first cup of tea in the morning, unfurling my yoga mat for me-time, hubby coming home from the city, my kitty snuggled on my lap for cozy time. The little things... :o) Wonderful post, Marilyn! Happy Day ((HUGS))

somepinkflowers said...

how loverly!
i am not surprise
to find such a richly delightful posting Here
today
as i like all 3 of you ladies:

Cheryl R
Joan D
and U
! ! !

:-)

{{ i would much like to invite ALL
of you dears over for Tea
but i guess
this is The Next Best Thing }}

Trixie and Dustin of TheTeaDrinker.com said...

Thank you so much for this post, dear MM. Perfect.
xo, Trix

Jeanne said...

Blessings and much love
Jeanne I love all you share.
Love you

Jeanie said...

I love this. My moments of great beauty are Gypsy sleeping, hearing Rick's breathing beside me, Harry Heron and so much more! And yes, I DO appreciate, so much!

Angela McRae said...

Beautiful post today, and some profound thoughts. I just got through reading and sharing with a friend a great article on combatting worry, and this goes right along with that. Thank you!

Unknown said...

This is exactly the purpose of my blogging and why I needed to return to it, it helps me notice the little beauties in life.