Friday, August 24, 2018

Peach Pie

 Today, friends, we will make a fresh peach pie.
My recipe book was totally worn out, especially the pie page.
Last year I finally took the book apart and put my favorites 
in plastic sleeves.
It was a wedding gift over 50 years ago
and the Better Homes and Garden cookbook that taught me to cook.
 OK, I have the dry ingredients together and ready to peel and slice the fruit.
All my tools are out on the counter ready to go.
 I measure the flour and salt in a bowl,
then comes the shortening.
I pour boiling hot water in the measuring cup with the spoon,
then after the cup and spoon are warmed up the water is dumped
and in goes the shortening.
If you don't know this little trick it is a good one for measuring
shortening and getting it out of the cup cleanly.
 Now the pastry blender is put to work, blending flour and shortening.
 All blended, now we move on.
 You see there is ice in my measuring cup,
it has been getting cold and waiting for me.
I measure out the water into the little cup nearby.
 And into the flour/shortening mixture it goes.
The fork works to do a bit of stirring.
 When the water seems fairly incorporated,
I knead the dough with my hands until it is in a ball.
 Separate the ball into two balls and flatten a bit.
Time to flour the board.
 The rolling pin is now rolling out one of the flattened balls
to desired thickness to fit in pie plate.
To transfer the rolled out dough you can either fold it in fourths
or wrap around the rolling pin and unroll over the pie plate.
 Fill with your prepared filling
and dab with a bit of butter.
Sometimes I forget the butter, but it still works.
 Cover with the second rolled out pastry ball,
scrimp edges or seal with the fork, then
trim off the excess dough.
My traditional design is a butterfly;
so there it is carved into the top.
Sprinkle with a little sugar.
 And into the oven it goes.
 While it is baking, I rolled out the excess dough,
spread with butter and sprinkle with a mixture
of cinnamon/sugar, then bake.
They are a yummy extra treat with a cup of tea.
 Both out of the oven now and cooling.
Ahhhhh! the fragrance is divine!
 And here you are!
One delicious peach pie and cinnamon sticks on the side.
Ready for the deliciousness with my cup of tea right now.
Recipe from Better, Homes and Garden cookbook, the one I follow
for a two crusted pie:
2 cups flour (I use unbleached and use the dip method of measuring)
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup shortening
6 tablespoons cold water

That's it folks!
Use with whatever filling you desire.
My #1 pie is Gravenstein apple
#2 is Marionberry
and from there could be whatever my heart desires.
I love making pies, a family tradition.

Happy Weekend, dear friends!

7 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, you made your peach pie! And how fantastic it looks. The peaches look so ripe and fresh. How clever to make extra cinnamon sticks on the side with the excess dough. Marilyn, I noticed your blue tile in your kitchen, it's charming. I wish I had a piece of your pie to go with my coffee right now. It looks great, and the butterfly design adds a special touch. : )

~Sheri

Lorrie said...

Your peach pie looks so delicious, Marilyn, and I can bet it tasted wonderful with a cup of tea.

relevanttealeaf said...

Your peach pie looks delicious and I'm sure it tasted delicious as well! Thanks for your tip about heating the measuring cup and spoon before measuring shortening for easy removal. In all my years of baking I have never heard
that tip and yet it should have been so obvious.

fiona said...

Love the Butterfly your pie looks scrumptious

Great photos x

Jeanie said...

This looks really delicious but the best part is your hint about the hot water and shortning. I'll remember that!

Rosemary said...

So pretty! And I'm sure absolutely delicious! Now I'm hungry for peach pie a la mode!

Tracy said...

LOVED this one, Marilyn... just love seeing the pages from your old cookbook, the one that taught you to cook. :) Good idea to keep favorites from the book with those plastic sleeves. Your butterfly is sooo charming!! The pie looks sooo good. I can't remember the last time I tasted peach pie. Hard to get good peaches here. What a great idea with the leftover dough and making cinnamon-sugar sticks! mmm... :))) ((HUGS))