Tuesday, August 28, 2018

The Difference in a Palate



As I have loved and tasted more teas one thing I have realized,
depending on the producer of the tea and their palate the tea takes
on a certain flavor.
Many years ago I toured Steven Smith's tasting room
where he talked about doing tea tastings.
At that time I didn't like any of his teas and yet he had developed several
tea businesses that were a success.
Years later as someone else took over the tasting and buying of teas,
I suddenly liked them, even loved some of them.
The more I have tasted, the more I have realized that each of our palates
is different. What one person likes, maybe someone else doesn't like.
That goes for food too.
Or does our palate change and suddenly we like something we didn't like before?
So it isn't that it is bad tea, but it may not suit my palate. 
I can taste a Darjeeling tea for sure and what one person likes 
I may think it is just OK. But when I taste from another source suddenly I love it.
My sister doesn't like creamy things and I love creamy things.
So not only tea, but food flavors and textures can be different for each person.
Just ruminating, thinking about our differences and similarities.

Do you find this to be so?
When I do tea tastings this comes to mind and I wonder.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the good and useful information. Thanks for sharing.
ผู้หญิง

Linda d said...

Sounds like your tea taste has developed. My partner keeps hoping my palate someday comes to enjoy wine but I have yet to taste a sip of wine and thought "ohhhh that's yummy". I am a baby when it comes to tea also but I do enjoy a good cup.

Jeanie said...

I never liked red wine for years. Then I started to have it a bit more and realized it is my preference. I hated Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes. Now I don't know how I'd get by without them. I think over time our tastes not only change but we become more willing to try and as we do sense the nuance of flavor, aroma, spice and sweet. I'm not surprised reading this. In fact, I'd be surprised if it was anything but.