Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Letting Go, Is it a Wish, a Dream?

At Lan Su Chinese Gardens recently you could hang your wishes, dreams, and poetry here.

I have thought long and hard about what I would have left there.
Maybe even a burden I needed to let go.
There are times when we need to let something go,
but don't know how to do it.
It is stuck right in our heart.
I struggle with it there, do you?
In the past I have written it on a rock and tossed it away
or I have heard of those that have written it on paper then burned it,
letting it go up in smoke.
The ceremony of letting go, releasing does help,
but then again it is a decision too.
The ceremony just gives it structure and says "it matters"
in a visible way.

I thought about sharing some of the words written there,
but then decided it was personal for the person that wrote it.

Do you know what you would write and walk away from,
leaving it behind you?
You don't have to tell me, but tell your heart.
Maybe write it down for yourself.

5 comments:

Jeanie said...

I think that's a beautiful idea. Other public areas should have one... Hmmm. Thinking.

Red Rose Alley said...

This sounds like a great idea. It reminds me of a shop in town, and they have a prayer tree. You can write your prayers on a little note and hang them on the tree with a sting. Almost every time I visit the shop, I hang a prayer note. Did you leave a note at the Chinese Gardens?

~Sheri

mamasmercantile said...

I have come across this before but can't remember where it as. Such a lovely idea.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Beautiful post, Marilyn. Letting go can be so difficult, often a little ritual or meditation can be helpful.

Tracy said...

This is lovely, Marilyn! I like your rock-release...that is a great idea! I live near water, so I should try that one! ;) I've done the burn... And it does feel good to release something, to create a bit of ritual about it fulfilling the decision. Because it does matter. There are some things in life that hurt, or are hard to deal with... and even sometimes knowing we need to let go of something, the physical doing of it can be really hard. I've always loved the idea of prayer flags. :) ((HUGS))