Friday, April 26, 2019

Hunting for Wildflowers

Balsam Root in particular was what I wanted to see.
The adventure began along the Columbia River Gorge in Mosier, Oregon.
Yesterday was in the mid 70's and for two that don't often
hike more than one or two miles we did just fine.
There were a few aches and pains after the 3 1/2 miles,
but we did it and loved the experience of hunting for wildflowers.
There was the beauty of a gorgeous day
and the scenery was amazing!
My "live-in gardener" on the trail just ahead.
Can you see the tufts of yellow?
We made it to the top of the plateau. Hooray!
There was much to reward the climb.
Balsam Root is in the sunflower family and it was everywhere.
There were some lupines too.
I was thoroughly delighted to spot this swallowtail butterfly too.
I can imagine butterflies would love this place even more than myself.
This view was so worth the climb!!!

Does anyone know what this pink tinged wildflower is?
There were a few scattered here and there.
Oh,  amazing creativity went into designing wildflowers.
Do you see the crow landing on the top of the tree?
 We think this was wild dill.

At the beginning and at the end of the trail was a historic graveyard.
Rather a lovely spot surrounded by the wild things.
Spring time adventures are so rewarding, especially when you see the delights of the wild.

8 comments:

Laura said...

What a beautiful place to walk! I love the flowers and the graveyard would have me wandering for hours. So glad you enjoyed your visit.
blessings
~*~

Mary said...

I love that area - but have never hiked there! Oh to have been alongside you and J - he really looks the part with walking stick and backpack, haha!!!!
Such beautiful colors and so many blooming flowers - looked like the perfect day to be out there enjoying so much stunning scenery and Nature's always gorgeous plants.

Happy rest of the weekend Marilyn - I need to attend to packing very soon.
Mary -

Rosemary said...

What a colorful trek! Love all the wildflowers and the butterfly!

Eileen D. said...

Thank you for taking me on this wonderful hike which I might never have made on my own! The flowers are exquisite, and I can almost feel the breeze.

Jeanie said...

I can see why you wanted to make this journey. Those blooms are stunning and so, too, are the views. Glorious in every way.

Linda P said...

It was worth the trek to see those wild flowers, Marilyn. The views are beautiful too.

Red Rose Alley said...

How wonderful that you see the beauty even in wildflowers, Marilyn. Most people just pass them by. They have their own special loveliness, don't they?

~Sheri

Tracy said...

WOW... what a wonderful wander this was! Look at that view! Yellow isn't "my color" but how not to smile with all that beautiful golden balsam root everywhere. It does a body good to go out into the wild once in a while, isn't it?! Thanks for taking us along, Marilyn :) ((HUGS))