Wednesday, April 10, 2019

TweedPDX

"People going to beautiful places in vintage outfits on fabulous bikes.
Inspiring casual cycling for all types of people through vintage cycling events."
From TweedPDX (the Portland, Oregon group)
From the time I first heard of a Tweed group I was fascinated.
When I heard that they would be gathering for a bike ride last Saturday
I put it on my calendar to go and see them gathering.
No one knew who I was and no one asked, but they were more
than willing to pose for me.
What fun to see them gather.
It was like stepping into another era.
I loved seeing their outfits; of course I would.
I love period costumes and fashion in general.
 I love bicycles too.
When I was much younger I got around town on a bicycle.
Until I was 17 we didn't have a car in the family;
so bicycling was it along with public transportation.
 The smiles permeated the air.
The park where they gathered had vistas of downtown Portland and the Willamette River.
Have you heard of Tweed?
Is there an group in your area?
What fun I had photographing them without them knowing who I was;
I was sort of just part of the group for a few moments and I loved it.
This adventure to the park did inspire memories of biking,
but also of spinning and hanging out at the park.
I spied merry-go-round as I returned to my car.
What fun childhood memories came to the surface
on this a special day at the park.

8 comments:

Sandi said...

Everyone is so dapper!

Mrs. Chrissy T said...

How neat!!!! I will have to research. Never heard of this. Love me a merry go round.

Lorrie said...

I've never heard of Tweed, but think it a great idea. I love all the costumes - the group looks like it's on a set for a period British movie.

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

So sorry I missed this, my Portland friend. Looks like a delight!

Mary said...

How wonderful is that Marilyn, and although I no longer cycle I would have loved to watch and take in the vintage costumes worn. I rode my bike many, many miles, and always to school when a teen. My parents never owned a car, we rode buses or walked! A much healthier way of life and we didn't have to diet - could always walk off a chocolate bar or a healthy meal, haha!

Happy weekend - Mary

Jeanie said...

I've never heard of tweed but it's very cool. I love the work they put into their clothes!

Rosemary said...

Oh my gosh! This is amazing! Now I'll have to be on the lookout for Tweeds! There is something for everyone.

Adrienne said...

What fun! They must have more fun than I can imagine. I love the outfits and the bicycles.
~Adrienne~