Monday, September 7, 2020

Word for the Day - 2020

Cherish

from Wiktionary: From Middle English charish, cherishen (to have affection for, hold dear, treat kindly; to esteem, respect; to cherish; to take care of; to greet; to entertain, treat hospitably; to cheer; to encourage, incite)

Cherish isn't a word I hear in my everyday life, but when it came to me it just had so much resonance with me.  What does it mean to be cherished, to hold someone so dear? How does it feel for the one giving the affection or to the one receiving and feeling the esteem and respect?  Does this just mean something on a person to person feeling or can it be for a non-animate object too? Is cherish just another word for love?

I cherish this one and only grandson. I hold him dear in my heart. A few days ago we baked an apple pie together. Now I didn't cherish the pie, but the memories of my mother baking apple pies is a cherished memory. The pie was delicious too, but not cherished.

So I think we can have cherished memories too. Memories that we hold close and dear to our heart.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this word.

What feelings does cherish bring to mind?

I hope each and everyone of you feels cherished by at least one person.

5 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

Your grandson is so sweet in this picture, Marilyn. I can see why you cherish him so much. How wonderful that you made an apple pie together. Yes, I cherish so many memories of my Mom as well. She is in my thoughts lately. That apple pie looks scrumptious. Did it turn out the way you wanted?

Have a nice September week.

~Sheri

Tracy said...

Goodness... How MUCH your sweet grandson has GROWN!! He is most definitely as super treasure to cherish! And that apple pie sure looks good too! Cherish... it is a beautiful word, isn't it? But yes, not used or maybe even thought of often. I think of cherish as meaning to hold someone/something very dear--a most treasured thing. I suppose I think it cherish connected mostly to people... my husband, my Mom, my sister... People more than objects. Interesting to think about! ((HUGS))

Jeanie said...

He's getting so big!

To me, "cherish" is love to the nth power. We can love but not cherish. Cherish implies (to me) extra special, tender care. Tenderness. A heart so full. We all have people we love but don't always like so much (usually related in some way!) But there are others we cherish. We protect, love, honor, care for them in a way that transcends just love. I love this word!

Lorrie said...

Your grandson will have such wonderful memories of his childhood and time with his grandmother. Cherish to me means to love and to protect and guard. Cherish evokes treasuring moments and people. It's a lovely word.

Mary said...

I love the word cherish also. It seems old fashioned perhaps in this day and age as younger generations don't use it much. Perhaps it's one of those words we don't grasp until we're older and wiser!

D seems to be so grown up now - I bet he even gobbled up a man-sized portion of that wonderful pie!