Monday, June 13, 2022

A Gift for You - A Flower and A Poem

 On my wedding day.

 Wishing I was closer to this skinniness these days. Smiling as I write this!

On this day, 58 years ago, I married my "live-in gardener".

Yellow has always been my favorite color. So even though the picture above is in black and white, there were yellow roses tucked in my bouquet. The bridesmaids carried yellow roses too. This yellow rose is in my garden today.

In those days brides also had "going-away" outfits. The photographer had us pose for one last picture before we "went away".

“Habitation”by: Margaret Atwood

Marriage is not
a house, or even a tent

it is before that, and colder:

the edge of the forest, the edge
of the desert
the unpainted stairs
at the back, where we squat
outdoors, eating popcorn

where painfully and with wonder

at having survived
this far

we are learning to make fire

 

I think this poem by Margaret Atwood describes marriage here. We don't have a clue what the future holds, but we were young and had stars in our eyes. We had many unpainted stairs. Oh the innocence of young love and the places it would take us. It isn't for the faint of heart to survive 58 years. There are times of tears, sadness, anger, but also laughter, songs, and fire.  

It is lovely to follow our hearts, but always keep eyes wide opened.

Sending love to each of you as you climb your own stairs.

6 comments:

Judy from Sato said...

I loved your photos. All I can say is, "WOW" . . .

Adrienne said...

Happy anniversary, my friend. I love your photos and the poem. It's a good reminder that marriage isn't all the festivities of the wedding but life. Real life and what we make of it together.
~Adrienne~

Ginger said...

Happy Anniversary!

Red Rose Alley said...

What a beautiful bride you were, Marilyn. I love this picture of you here, it should be in a magazine. You look so elegant Yellow roses are so pretty, and a favorite of mine too. That is a perfect color of yellow also. Happy Anniversary, and may you have many more years of love.

~Sheri

Rosemary said...

What a beautiful bride! Happy Anniversary! Many blessings to you and Jim.... here's to the future!

Laura Morrigan said...

A belated happy anniversary! Love is certainly not for the faint of heart!