Saturday, June 11, 2022

Retired, but Keeping Busy

 

I love that I am retired and don't have the stress of rising early, then scampering off to the office. 

I also love that my time is my own. But I must say some weeks just fly by and I wonder where the time went. What did I do?

After I posted a white tea time I just knew I needed a red tea time too. The red rose is for Sheri just because I know you love red roses. The red cozy on my teapot is my own design and I sell the sewing patterns on etsy. Yep! That is one thing I do regularly. Just this week I had a sewing pattern for this cozy travel to Australia and another to the United Kingdom. This little business is what keeps me supplied with good tea in my kitchen and then in my tummy.

Soon this desk will be moved to my daughters house, as eventually we will downsize. I have been cleaning it out and loved the idea of snapping a picture of the inside of a clean desk. It was my grandfather's desk. As a little girl I can remember him sitting there doing his bookkeeping and smoking his pipe. When I was given the desk it smelled of his pipe tobacco. Now if you asked my grandson what it smells like now he would say chocolate. It has been where I would hide my chocolate stash. I am sure when we move it to his house he will be expecting chocolate to come along. I think I need to put a chocolate bar in one of those drawers.

Some refer to black tea as red tea. My favorite "red tea" is Yunnan Gold, which I sipped as I wrote this post.


Then this past week I ventured to my favorite garden here in Portland, Lan Su Chinese Gardens, to meet a friend for tea and a peaceful walk. I hadn't seen her for a few years; so that was a joy. It's funny because she was my daughter's friend and became mine. Now we see each other when she comes to town and she tells me to tell my daughter hello.




So with the walk and then sitting at this table we sipped a nice oolong and nibbled on almond cookies, then caught up on what was happening in our lives.


Yesterday I didn't snap one picture, but I hosted my former swim group friends for a potluck in the garden house. There were 12 of us sitting around the table as the rain pattered on the roof. It was a dear time of remembering friends that have passed and enjoying the bond of friendship that still remains.

Friendships and making time in our day for them is a treasure, one I savor dearly.

Happy Weekend, dear friends!

Savor each day!

6 comments:

Rosemary said...

Everything about this post is beautiful... from the family memories to the photography to friendship and overseas tea cozy sales... but the chocolate expectation is my favorite! What a delight to sit and read and savor your words. Enjoy your weekend... and the upcoming week, too!

Red Rose Alley said...

Marilyn, when I first scrolled down and saw that picture, I said to myself, "that is the prettiest picture!" Maybe it was all the red, and red makes my heart sing. And also what makes the picture charming is the DESK! Your grandfather's desk is a treasure, and I'm so glad that your daughter will have it now. Yes, do put some chocolate in their for your grandson. He will love it. My mom's desk was similar to this, and when I moved to this small house, there was no room for it, so I sold it to my neighbor, and I'm glad cause they are good neighbors. Your tea cozy is cute, and how creative that is your own design. And that photo of the red lamp post with the white flowering tree is beautiful. It's nice that you had your swim friends over for a potluck. Even if it rained from the garden house, it sounds like it was a pleasant day. Thank you for thinking of me when you did this post, and I will come back and see it again. It meant a lot to me today, as the road trip I took wiped me out and I've been trying to bounce back. : )

~Sheri

Jeanie said...

I think I love your red tea pix even more than the white. Your cozy is darling! And I really am so glad you got out to be with friends in the garden. Even more, I love that the desk is going to your daughter -- with or without chocolate! They want so few of our things these days. That makes me smile. The pix are beautiful.

Linda P said...

I'm so glad that you and I can meet up with friends again and share walks around beautiful gardens or entertain at home. Setting out a favourite tea set makes these times special. I'm happy that I have furniture that belonged to my parents. Your daughter and grandson will appreciate the desk. Have a wonderful week dear friend.

Lorrie said...

Your red tea cozy and cup make such a pretty picture. Love the desk and love that it is being passed down through your family. A lovely post from beginning to end.

Laura Morrigan said...

What a nice little trip! And so nice to see the desk being passed down as a family heirloom!