Monday, August 22, 2022

A Gift for You - A Flower and A Poem

 

Jack-Be-Nimble

Summer is a candle

In a golden stick,

A yellow, yellow candle

With a poppy wick.

A yellow, yellow candle

That burns a lovely while,

Till autumn comes a-running

Down a purple mile.

Till autumn comes a-running

With a windy shout,

And vaults the golden candlestick,

And blows the poppy out.

~Kitchen Sonnets, by Ethel Romig Fuller

Oregon poet laureate (1957-1965)

 

Is anyone else looking forward to cooler days?

I love the anticipation of summer, but by now feel like those wilted flowers above.

Opening my house up in the early hour gives the promise of cooler days, but still the heat and humidity of the mid day hour is stifling. Hoping for "autumn comes a-running".

And here we are at the end of August. Children are returning to school. And those of us that no longer have children to send off with backpacks filled are dreaming of sitting by the warmth of a cool nights fire. But first let's take another walk outdoors and surround ourselves with the wilted flowers of summer. Let's delight in the day and drink plenty of cool water.

Welcome to a new week, dear friends!


4 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

I love how you savor each season, Marilyn. It is the character of someone who truly is grateful. I feel the same way, even though Summer is not my favorite season. There is still something to appreciate, isn't there? Although I am anxiously waiting for Fall. So many wonderful things about it. I liked your poem this Monday morning, especially since I see the orange Poppies at the creek every year. Enjoy the last of the Summer days, Marilyn. I know you will.

~Sheri

Linda P said...

We're enjoying Summer days now that the weather is cooler here in the UK. We're making the most of holiday time with our house guests. Autumn is a beautiful time of the year. We appreciate each season and delight in each day.

Jeanie said...

Nope. Not looking forward to cooler days. If it gets much cooler it will be winter! (An exaggeration but overall this has been one of our cooler summers and I've been longing for a bit more heat. I know we are the US anonamly (sp) -- maybe I should just say exception! So, I'll be grabbing onto it for as long as I can!

Laura said...

What a beautiful poem! I am anxiously awaiting the cooler days of autumn. We've had a few unseasonably cool days a week or so ago and they felt wonderful.

love & magicks
~*~