Monday, July 21, 2008

Brownies for Tea

Being prepared for tea at the knock on my door.
In my mind I always think what would I do if someone came by unexpected to have that cup of tea we had talked about. One recipe that I always have ready is brownies. I am not sure where I received this recipe many years ago, but it is so convenient.

Brownie Mix
Keeps for 1 year or more and makes 8 batches

8 cups sugar
5 1/2 cups flour
1 8 oz. can Hershey's unsweetened cocoa - dry
4 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. salt

Mix together and store (I store in a gallon jar)

To make brownies:
Take 2 cups dry mix
and add
1 cube melted butter*
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup nuts, if desired

Mix and put in 8" pan
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes
Do not over cook

*Melt butter in pan you are using for baking
Marmalady's Cherry Amaretto jam or another jam can be swirled through the brownie batter before placing in the oven for an extra special touch.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea, Marilyn. I love Brownies! Wonder if a bit of chocolate or chocolate mint tea (leaves) could be added?

Marilyn Miller said...

Chocolate mint tea would be yummy with the brownie. Sitting next to the brownie are a few alpine strawberries. They were also very good with the brownie.

Annie Jeffries said...

Brownies are my favorite. Seeing them pictured here with the Appleware makes me want to try my hand at this recipe. I have Appleware at home too so I'm inspired.