Friday, July 11, 2008

The Golden Rule

The Golden Rule

Buddhism

Hurt not others with that which pains yourself.

Christianity

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Hinduism

Treat others as you would yourself be treated.

Islam

Do unto all men as you would wish to have done unto you.

Judaism

What you yourself hate, do to no man.

Native American

Live in harmony, for we are all related.

Sacred Earth

Do as you will, as long as you harm no one.

As we traveled home from the World Tea Expo in June, we stopped for the night at a simple motel in Barstow, California. I went in to see if they had a room and check us in. On the counter in a small frame was the above Golden Rule. I asked if I could have a copy of it and the woman at the desk connected with me in those short moments of life. We had a sweet discussion on each ones similarities in thought and beliefs. My husband asked when I returned to the car if I was bonding with the woman at the desk. I said that we were and I was touched in those moments by sharing with another woman in our sameness. She was from India and I am Anglo American. In our hearts we were the same.

The picture was taken a few years ago at the Flower Church in Lower Slaughter, England.


4 comments:

Linda Jennings said...

I certainly enjoyed reading these different versions of The Golden Rule. Lower Slaughter is a lovely place, but I have not been in this church. Thanks for sharing!

Rosemary said...

These are all beautiful thoughts Marilyn. Thanks for sharing.
Nancy

Steph said...

What a beautiful way to show that we are all connected - and our similarities. Thank you!

Annie Jeffries said...

What a beautiful story. I'm convinced that all women are sisters under the skin, no matter our backgrounds.