Tuesday, July 22, 2008

How Marmalady's Got It's Name

In the year 2000 I decided to open a tearoom, but knew very little about tea and tearooms. In my research I found Magnolia & Ivy's Tearoomforprofit workshop. I flew off to Georgia for a few days of learning. Then spent a day after that working in the kitchen of Tea and Tomes in Newport, Oregon. I kept wondering what would my tearoom be named. I made a list of things I thought went into a tearoom, including marmalade. I really liked the sound of the word marmalade. Then my son said "well you are the marmalady". He called me Marma when he was little, a combination of Marilyn and Mama. Thus Marmalady's Tea Room, Inc. was registered. Yes, I still was thinking tearoom. Along the way I realized I didn't want to open a restaurant, but wanted to see my products in tearooms across the country. My work background is product development and this just seemed to fit. So the legal name is Marmalady's Tea Room, Inc.; but I do business just as Marmalady's.

For me marmalade is more than just marmalade; it is a myriad of colors and textures and incorporates many facets of pretty things. I had no problem saying tea cozies or anything else I might develop would not fit the image in my mind for pretty colors and textures. Jams, jellies, and marmalade's certainly fits. While my children were growing up I made many batches of jams and marmalade's, so this product was easy for me to include in Marmalady's. I love finding vintage linens and making them into beautiful things; so of course tea cozies was the perfect fit. My work experience was as a patternmaker; so I am sure that experience will come into play with some future product. My mind is always creating and thinking what next for Marmalady's, including what new flavor of jam or marmalade will be next.

The cozy above is vintage fabric found in an antique shop. The picture was taken by my neighbor, Shayne.


5 comments:

Marmalady said...

Hiya again!

I got my name in a very similar way. I have been selling my marmalades & baking for about 25 years now -- at first through the W.I. Markets here in the UK. When I wanted to branch out into selling them independently I had to find a catchy name. I had a friend who already called me "the marmalade lady" - so I shortened it to Marmalady and sell under the name of "Marmalady's Cakes & Preserves"

Linda Jennings said...

What a nice "tea" story! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I loved this story the first time you shared it with me and I love it even more each time I think about it. I especially like that your son played such an important part in coming up with it. That is so special! You have come up with some wonderful jams and I look forward to each new flavor.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Cute name! I enjoyed hearing the story about it.

Katherine

Steph said...

I love this story!