Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Japanese Tea Ceremony

At the World Tea Expo this year there was an opportunity to participate in a Japanese Tea Ceremony. We were served a tea jelly as a palate cleaner to begin. The Tea Master served each of us individually after he brewed the tea at the end of the table.
The hostess and the Tea Master.
We drank Matcha Green Tea in bowls that were about 100 - 150 years old.

Another very old tea bowl, which I thought was beautiful.
Before the tea ceremony we had to remove jewelry; so that we would not chip the bowls.
Cameras were not allowed in the tea expo; so these were taken on my phone after we were told we could take them here only. Now not being very cell phone technical, I didn't know how to get them off my phone until now. Annie at In My Dreams called me and explained how to share my pictures with you. Thanks so much Annie! I have so much wanted to share the pictures from the Japanese Tea Ceremony.

8 comments:

Gayle said...

Lovely, thanks for the pics, glad you were able to get them off to show us!

La Tea Dah said...

Lovely! I'm so glad you have some pictures to share. I look forward to hearing more.

LaTeaDah

Britt-Arnhild said...

World Tea Expo????
I've never heard of it. Oh my gosh! How I would love to be there :-)

Angela McRae said...

How interesting! Those tea bowls are beautiful, and I think I might have been a little self-conscious about using them!

parTea lady said...

That must have been a wonderful experience. I would have been a little nervous using those lovely old tea bowls. Thanks for sharing this.

Celeste Maia said...

Those bowls are absolutely beautiful. And so delicate. And the green tea must have tasted better being drunk from those bowls. I love rituals.

Annie Jeffries said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annie Jeffries said...

I cannot get over the fact that your tea cups were 100 - 150 years old. That you were allowed to use them (or anyone for that matter) is nothing short of amazing.

I loved seeing the pictures Marilyn. What a lovely memory for you. So glad I could help you share it.

Cheers,
Annie