Thursday, August 20, 2009

Theatre de la Mode

In design school we were encouraged to visit Maryhill Museum to see the fashion dolls.
The fashions of post-World War II France are highlighted in this 1946 exhibit, featuring miniature fashions by the country's finest designers.
I must have been inspired by the plaid coat at the front of this picture,
as I went on to design a suit jacket with a similar feel and plaid.
This is my favorite exhibit in the Maryhill Museum. I just love the little fashion dolls.

Even the little shoes are fun. They seem to have inspired a whole
new generation of shoes that look similar to the shoes we see now.
They say that fashion goes in cycles and I do believe that;
however, each cycle still puts their own flair to the season.
I still enjoy taking a peak in a Vogue Magazine at the beauty shop just to see what's happening in the world of fashion today.

7 comments:

Annie Jeffries said...

Hi Marilyn,

I went to the Maryhill Museum site yesterday and saw the little they had posted there. So glad to see more here. Hummmm, are these cell phone pictures??? :-) :-)

La Tea Dah said...

Lovely! Your pictures turned out very nice --- as the displays were so dark! These miniature fashions are exquisite! No Barbie doll fashions could ever compare!

Duchess of Tea said...

Darling, I just adore the ladies of that era so classy and chic and the shoes are gorgeous. Have a beautiful day my friend!!

Hugs ♥♥♥
Duchess

Gill said...

Only this morning while getting my hair done, did I browse through
GLAMOUR
and man I love that magazine...love the styles, fashions, beauty and more. Vogue is awesome too. Love the shoes in the last pic! xo

Jasmin said...

How fabulous that you designed clothing. My mother graduated from dressmaking/pattern making school in London in the 1930's. Then she apprenticed at a Royal Dressmaker in Bond Street and actually worked on clothing for the Queen Mother Elizabeth prior to her becoming Queen (she was the present Queen's mother). She hand-beaded a gown for her for Royal Ascot - the huge annual horse race.

Have you ever watched the British TV series "The House of Eliott"? If not you must, you'll love it. Set in London in the '20's/30's, the two sisters design and make the most fabulous clothes ever - the story is wonderful. I'm actully watching it now - available from Netflix - a lot of episodes but all great viewing. My mum said it was just like the place where she worked and brought back wonderful memories for her.

My mother made beautiful clothes for me - in turn I sewed as soon as I was able. Gave up dressmaking some years back but I still love fashion!

Oops Marilyn - I think this is going to show up as Jasmin's comment - she must have forgotten to switch user when on my laptop today - this is actually Mary ACROSS THE POND!!!!

Deanna said...

Fantastic.
What neat little shoes.
Anybody that loves Fashion would enjoy this post.
Blessings,
d

Time Traveling in Costume said...

I just noticed this post on your blog, and had never heard of Maryhill but now I'll have to look into it more, especially after seeing the dolls modeling the clothing. I just recently started researching 1930s & 40s clothing for my costuming.
Val