Monday, August 31, 2009

Monday Linen Days

An applique with embroidery pillow cover is pretty in pink.
A dish towel I found for 50cents at a garage/tag sale.
There was a note with it that said "Maggie " of the old
Maggie and Jiggs Comics.
A small table cloth with appliqued teapot and embroidery.
I like the applique butterfly on another dish towel.
An embroidered table cloth.

Embroidery shows up a lot on vintage linens. I think it must
have been a way women could be creative in their homes. It
was something easy to pick up when they had a few moments
to put some stitches to cloth. It colored their worlds.
I have been totally amazed at what I have found in my cupboards,
trunk, and linen drawer. Somethings I forgot I had.
I am so glad I decided to share them with you.
Don't forget there will be a linen give away announced on Sept. 14th;
so come back and visit me on two more Monday Linen Days.

10 comments:

Jeanne said...

I love all you post.
I love you
Blessings♥

Gill said...

Embroidery was the blogging of yore.
Now we stitch with our postings and photographs...it's a lovely textile we weave together.
xoxo

La Tea Dah said...

Beautiful linens -- I especially like the tea themed tablecloths. It's a fashion that never goes out of style!

Thanks for sharing on Linen Monday. I really enjoy it!

LaTeaDah

Marisa @ Getting Back To Basics said...

I have some applique with embroidery pillow cases similar to these that we got for a wedding gift 32 years ago. I guess they were more popular back then. It seems not many people do pillow cases anymore...it's becoming a dying art.

Britt-Arnhild said...

Lovely.
I went antique hunting on Saturday and found a lovely pillow case. Will use it at the cabin.

Steph said...

I used to do embroidery with my grandmother, but I've forgotten how. It's such a beautiful art!

robin bird said...

i always felt like i was winning the lottery when finding old linens embroidered with pansies and daisies at garage sales :) these are so pretty!

Gayle said...

Wow, very exciting! I so adore the old linens. I have found several at garage sales and use them for my pillows. I feel like a queen with these lovely soft pillow cases.

Annie Jeffries said...

I've so loved these posts, Marilyn. It will be sad when they come to an end. But I've been inspired to get out some of my own and to look for more. Wish me luck on my search. Rumor has it, one does not have to look to hard to find wonderful and affordable vintage pieces.

Mary said...

Don't you just love looking at vintage linens, thinking of the women who patiently stitched for hours rather than typed, ha! ha!

I must go through mine again, several were embroidered by my mum and a few by me as a child - they are full of memories.