Monday, August 10, 2009

Monday Linen Days

Vintage tablecloths is the heart of my love of linens.
The top right tablecloth was one of my first and is beginning to show it wear, but I still love it. When they have a hole, I just layer it with other tablecloths. I love pairing several together.
I had no idea when I pulled them out to photograph them that there were so many in the cupboard. The tablecloth with yellow roses I use when I have a table at the Portland Rose Society Vendor Fair. It is a fun one to have with a big bouquet of yellow roses.
The second from right one is fun to use when we serve a Mexican dinner or the one second from left is used in the winter with pinecones. You see they are loved, but they are also used. I often have a pile in the ironing. I actually love seeing them there, as I enjoy the pattern as I iron them.

Also just for fun I thought you would like a sneak peek at the greenhouse my husband is building out of recycled windows, floor, bricks, and doors.
The tablecloths mostly come from the 1930's and 1940's.
My favorite era's for style include 1920's through the 1940's, so these fit
very well into our home. But I do believe anyone would enjoy one of these beauties, even if it is maybe for picnics. They really cheer up any picnic table, tea table, company table, or everyday fun table.
There will be more tablecloths to come next week.

13 comments:

Annie Jeffries said...

Hi Marilyn. LOVE the tablecloths. Especially like the yellow roses cloth, my favorite flower. I need to take out my mom's tablecloth. I think it is more 50's than 30/40's but love it.

parTea lady said...

What a wonderful collection of tablecloths. I love how you even have cloths to fit different dining themes and that you do use them all.

Unknown said...

Great collection of tablecloths, I love the large check with flowers one.

Steph said...

Very, very lovely! And is that your very own greenhouse in the back?

Angela McRae said...

I am still LOVING your Monday linens posts! I love-love-love vintage tablecloths and collect mainly those with teapots and teacups on them, but I do have a few with pretty roses. One got a huge hole in it but is still so pretty I can't bear to throw it away or cut it up. Layering is a great idea. And that greenhouse! Oh, could you please post DAILY on its progress?!!

Relyn Lawson said...

You know I love your linens. I loved hearing about how you use them, too.

Gayle said...

How lovely the tablecloths are. I also layer them with another one when they get a hole! How exciting for the green house. Looks wonderful.

christina said...

I love the tablecloths and your hubby for building you a greenhouse. : )
xo

Teresa's New Life said...

Oh, Marilyn These are just beautiful.

Leau said...

Just so you know, there is a great vintage linen store in Santa Fe, right by the train station that specializes in southwestern linens. Just in case you needed another little push towards Creative Geography...
These are so lovely!

Marilyn Miller said...

Leau,
I couldn't find a place to email you on your blog. I have signed up with Tara to attend the retreat in Santa Fe in April. You just tease me with more. I love the copper foil charms on your website. Are they your creation? I want to learn how to do that.

La Tea Dah said...

Lovely --- I enjoy tablecloths of this vintage --- you have more than me! I have some of my mom's, though, and a few I've picked up at antique shops. I've seen ones that are too tattered for table use made into wonderful tea towels as well.

Adrienne said...

Oh-oh! Now I'm just a bit jealous!! While enjoying your lovely linens I spied the greenhouse your hubby built and I must say - I want one, too! Maybe someday my sweetheart will build one for me. Maybe! Now we know we will have a lot to talk about when we meet for tea. ~Adrienne~