Friday, January 15, 2010

The Soul Serene in a Cup of Tea


A Tibetan teabowl.

The sun, Lord of the East, grinds the fragrant
dust of tea.
Bejeweled nectar on the teeth, revives me.
A pure wind envelopes my body.
The whole world seen in a single cup.

~Koban, translated by V. Dixon Morris

Tea does our fancy aid,
Repress those vapors which the head invade
And keeps that palace of the soul serene.

~Edmund Waller

The words "bejeweled" and "palace" make
me feel very regal with my cup of tea this morning.
Yet the teabowl is too "beautiful" for me to use.
I will go find a simple, English teacup, then
sip my tea in regal delight.
My soul will be serene.

11 comments:

Jeanne said...

Your postings are beautiful and so are you.
Love Jeanne

Steph said...

That is exquisite!!!!! And thank you for sharing the poetry.

Unknown said...

I love that teabowl. Where did you get that? Just beautiful.

Se'lah said...

i love anything TIBET. I am happy to be celebrating the Tibetan new year on February 14, 2010. Raise a cup of tea perhaps.

xo

La Tea Dah said...

Beautiful post --- beautiful cup --- serenity!

Lisa said...

What a beautiful cup, thank you for sharing!

Good luck on your taxes! I would have done my own this year but what with my tea business starting and sadly ending all in one fiscal year, I'm not sure I would even know where to begin... Back to the tax lady I go!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

I hope your teatime was peaceful!
Thanks for your kind note. I'm so glad you're enjoying my book!

Hugs to you. (And to Joey, too! What a cutie!)
Becky

Lois said...

Hey Marilyn,
The teabowl is just beautiful!
I drink my tea in a mug as that is how my grams taught me to drink it.
There is nothing more soothing than a hot cup of tea.
Enjoy yours and have a great week.
Lois

parTea lady said...

That is a lovely ornate Tibetan tea bowl. I enjoyed the poems too.

Angela McRae said...

I don't think I've ever seen such a thing before, so thank you for expanding my teaware horizons! (But I'd *have* to drink out of it at least once!)

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

What a beautiful tea bowl! I would be afraid to use it as well!

I would like to hear about your two weddings/anniversaries too!

Katherine