Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Bishop's Castle

Could I really finish my road trip without visiting a castle in the US?
Totally amazing and still in progress, Jim Bishop began building a family cabin
near Rye, Colorado in 1969.
After someone commented it looked like a castle with the stone construction,
he just kept building it into a real life, folk art castle.
He has done all the work himself, except for the stain glass windows.
Traveling through America on our road trip we enjoyed the oddities
of folk art from a castle in Colorado to the world's largest ball of string in Kansas.
Is there something unusual in your part of the world?
Something you would say to friends, you just have got to see this?

What makes road trips fun is just this, finding the unusual and stopping to enjoy.

14 comments:

Annie Jeffries said...

Interesting place. The windows are very sweet and whimsical.

Adrienne said...

Oh, my friend! We were at Bishop's Castle just two weeks ago on our travels. Wouldn't it have been fun to 'run into' each other there? I have photos to share, too. Did you go to the top? My dear friend wanted to take me up to ring the bell but my sweetheart said he would prefer that I didn't (thinking of my safety, he was!) It's an incredible place. Wouldn't it be fun to furnish it?
~Adrienne~

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

I love those windows! What an interesting structure. Isn't it amazing what a person can create when he sets his mind to it?

Unknown said...

Here, there! You are in my state. Welcome! If you get near Colorado Springs or Manitou, let me know and we can try to meet up for a cuppa.

La Tea Dah said...

Delightful! I would love to visit that castle!!!

There are so many places and things to choose from in answer to your query of what I'd say to friends regarding "you just have to see this".

Today --- I would choose Amargosa Opera House (and motel) at Death Valley Junction. I find Marta Becket to be such an interesting artist and one-woman-show. http://www.amargosa-opera-house.com/

Rosemary said...

Oh fun! So clever! Yes, we do have a 'unique' destination in Southcentral PA... it's the shoe house!
http://www.shoehouse.us/

Steph said...

Never even heard of this! Wow.

koralee said...

I sooo want to go on a road trip! Thank you for sharing all the joys along the way. xo

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

Ooohh, that's an interesting questions, Marilyn. What would I consider really odd here in Portland? I'll have to think about it.

Elizabeth said...

Fascinating and a bit strange!
Glad you got to visit somewhere so unusual!

Joy said...

Cool place, I had no idea there was a castle in Colorado! And I LOVE that last picture of the 3 windows with the flowers. Thanks for introducing us to this castle!

S. Etole said...

Those windows are just spectacular.

Jeanie said...

This is INCREDIBLY cool! I love the way you two travel. Makes me smile!

paris parfait said...

Road trips are the best! You never know what you might see. I didn't know about this castle until I read your post.