Friday, June 8, 2012

Hotchkiss, Colorado

 
 
 
 
Never having traveled through western Colorado, I decided it was about time.
My mother lived in Hotchkiss, Colorado as a child and I wanted to see
where she had grown up.
It isn't very big and there didn't seem to be much there,
but it touched on my hearts cord.
Yesterday having lunch with my aunt I showed her these pictures
and got more of the story.
Most likely my great grandfather built the church, he
was a stone mason here.  I didn't find the family's home, but
what I found was the beauty of the surroundings here and
pictures in my mind and heart of the place my mother lived.

Someday I would love to come back to this part of the country and explore further.
There is so much of nature to see from the mountains to rafting on the river.
Is there someplace like this your heart draws you too?

8 comments:

parTea lady said...

I love the look of that church. How nice to visit the place where your Mom grew up.

Rosemary said...

Beautiful.

Jeanie said...

This is charming, Marilyn. I love it that you visited your mom's hometown. And very cool about your grandfather building the church. It's just wonderful you have your aunt to help fill in those stories -- My generation of cousins has become the "senior" or "at bat" generation. A little bit of history is lost every day.

paris parfait said...

How lovely to visit a place infused with your family history!

Karen's Place said...

To think you walked the same streets you mom did as a child. Love the feed and drug store combo. The church is amazingly strong looking. Standing the test of time. Glad you got to sit down and visit with your Aunt and learn more family history.

Tracy said...

Such wonderful architecture! And so special that you made the pilgrimage to your mother's birthplace. There area many places I'm drawn too, although not necessarily because of family connections. There are lots of place that feel like heart-place because of literary, artistic or other roots. Too many place I'd love to go to! :o) Happy Week, Marilyn ((HUGS))

Angela McRae said...

Love seeing these photos, and how awesome that you got to explore a place that's a part of your heritage!

La Tea Dah said...

How awesome that your great grandfather was (most likely) the builder of this beautiful church. And fun for you to visit your mother's home town. I love the name --- Hotchkiss --- so unusual. And the little pioneer cabin was exactly as I pictured my childhood dream house. I always wished I could be a pioneer of the 1800's.